Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At Least Two Ubuntu Phone Announcements Expected In June

Phoronix: At Least Two Ubuntu Phone Announcements Expected In June

Canonical will be kicking off June by making some announcements with their partners for new Ubuntu Phones in Europe...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does anyone know how the existing phones are doing in the market? Also, can we order these phones in North America or do you have to reside in Europe or China?

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
      Does anyone know how the existing phones are doing in the market?
      Phones? I think you mean phone.

The BQ seems to be a mixed bag with the current state of Ubuntu Touch even in the eyes of the Ubuntu community. So I don't think it's selling in large numbers outside of the enthusiasts and developer community.

You can't order a BQ phone outside the European Union and it would be pretty pointless in North America, since we use different GSM bands here. You'd be limited to 2G.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Ubuntu/comme...ng_it_for_two/
      Last edited by blackout23; 27 May 2015, 04:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
        Does anyone know how the existing phones are doing in the market? Also, can we order these phones in North America or do you have to reside in Europe or China?
        Exact figures are not known, BQ phone went on general sale after about 3-4 flash sales so I am guessing it sold decently enough to be offered on general sale. BQ phone is for Europe only, and second model will likely be for Europe only as well. Meizu MX4 might be available for order from anywhere in the world (ask Meizu), there was also news that a phone for the US market will be announced in the summer. You could probably buy BQ phone from Ebay but I dont know how much of it would work in US as Europe and US have different network bands.

Comment

I hope they partner with someone to make a lower spec lower cost phone as the bq and meizu phones are mid to high priced. A phone with the spec of a Moto E would be better for getting market share and app developers on board.

Comment

Canonical should be pushing out roms like for ASUS Zenfone 2, or Chinese phones based off the Mediatek SoC. It's not good enough offering a new phone with little hardware features or people already have phones that are similar hardware. You either capture the Upgraders and or support the current regime.

Comment

probably a higher spec BQ with mhl ?maybe good for convergence.

I think they need cheap tablets / phones to come out too. Something like that similar to the amazon phones / tablets price range would help

Comment

i have a bq aquaris since February it works well but it still lakes some app and features, waiting to see ubuntu 15.04 touch

Comment

Working...
                X