Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running Linux On The Intel Compute Stick

Phoronix: Running Linux On The Intel Compute Stick

The Intel Compute Stick has begun shipping, a tiny device that plugs into any HDMI TV or monitor and turns it into a fully-functioning computer. This low-power PC ships with Windows 8.1 or Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, though at the moment the Windows version is first to market with the Ubuntu Compute Stick not widely shipping until June. I have an Intel Compute Stick at Phoronix for testing...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I asked on the Intel forum about how to get a factory restore image for Linux on the HDMI Stick; was told that there wasn't, as there's a recovery partition on the stick.

I am wondering whether the stated 8GB storage of the linux stick is before or after the recovery partition is taken into account... if not, I would guess that the linux version doesn't have much free space after taking into account the recovery partition and the OS install.

I would like to get hold of the image as it could be very useful for getting linux running on other devices with the Atom 3735F processor, like my Toshiba Click Mini.

Comment

I'm wondering if there's a screen and keyboard combo that has nothing but battery, and you stick this thing in it and you will have a good cheap portable device. Something like the motorola atrix, any suggestions?
      Last edited by nashamri; 28 May 2015, 11:13 AM.

Comment

Yeah it's pretty clear the Linux version is crippled. It's cheaper but the hardware is worse, meaning Microsoft has essentially handed Intel free Windows 8.1 licenses for it's stick.

Just sell both at $150 with identical hardware. I can sort of understand Intel's logic...if the Linux version is priced the same as Windows, very few would buy the Linux one versus the Windows unit. The thing is, most people aren't stupid and can clearly tell that 8GB storage and 1GB is worse than 32GB and 2GB RAM. 32 GB storage is basically the minimum for a full Windows 8 stack with a little breathing room (most cheap Windows 8 tablets will have at least 32 GB storage) but it can handle 1GB of RAM with the 32 bit version.
        Last edited by Xaero_Vincent; 28 May 2015, 11:24 AM.

Comment

Actually, I'd have to say that they haven't quite "crippled" the Linux version. But rather, it's because Windows has higher system requirements than Linux.

Ubuntu, for example, requires a minimum of 512mb of RAM and 5gb of disk space.
          32bit Windows 8.1, however, requires a minimum of 1gb of RAM and 16gb of disk space. The 64bit version requires a minimum of 2gb of RAM and 20gb of disk space.

Both would run with 1gb of RAM, but you would be more limited with Windows 8.1. Windows can't even be installed with the Linux version of the compute stick however, because the amount of disk space it has is half of what Windows requires. And while there's more leftover space on the Windows version of the compute stick (16gb vs 3gb for Linux), Windows applications typically use more disk space than Linux applications. This is because windows apps usually include their own copies of the libraries they use while Linux apps typically use the system versions of those libraries.

References:

If you want to run Windows 8.1 or Windows 8 on your PC, here's what it takes.
          Last edited by ZauberParacelsus; 28 May 2015, 02:19 PM. Reason: Added references

Comment

Originally posted by ZauberParacelsus View Post
            Ubuntu, for example, requires a minimum of 512mb of RAM
            With 512MB Ram the System Boots but its Unusable. Even a Lubuntu or Xubuntu is not very handy with 512MB RAM. The Windows 8.1 Uses after the boot around 400MB Memory and with 1GB as minimum you has enough for Applications.

EDIT: A Windows on a MMC oder SSD Drive can reduced to around 3-4GB Memory.

Comment

Originally posted by ZauberParacelsus View Post
              Actually, I'd have to say that they haven't quite "crippled" the Linux version. But rather, it's because Windows has higher system requirements than Linux.
              I agree. Windows will cripple itself once the virus scanner is installed.

I expect both version will give a more or less similar performance.

Comment

@Nille: Yeah, I'm aware it wouldn't be usable. "minimum requirements" generally implies the minimum required to simply run, but not to run well.

@Ferry: That depends on what antivirus you're using. Norton has historically been pretty bad. Another factor is if you're using a SATA hard drive, but the BIOS is set to IDE instead of AHCI mode. If it's set to IDE mode, then you get huge performance problems any time more than one app is trying to do disk reads and writes at the same time. Any virus scanner (which does numerous disk reads in rapid succession) would have a huge performance hit in such a configuration unless coded to pace itself.
                Last edited by ZauberParacelsus; 28 May 2015, 07:48 PM. Reason: typo fix

Comment

I'm quite interested on running Kodi in this thing.

Comment

Michael, please write the article on how you installed Linux on the stick. I can't figure it out, I have a similar device (same specs, different brand). UEFI external dvd-drive is seen, but can't boot.

Comment

Working...
                    X