Dell Makes An Ubuntu Installation Guide, Suggests Users Try It Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dell Makes An Ubuntu Installation Guide, Suggests Users Try It Out

Phoronix: Dell Makes An Ubuntu Installation Guide, Suggests Users Try It Out

Dell's latest forray with Ubuntu Linux is recommending users on Twitter try out the open-source operating system...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It makes perfect sense as shipping Ubuntu you can sell more hardware for the buck.

Comment

More users on linux -> more games on linux -> linux on alienware makes sense -> lower production cost for Dell. Isn't it that simple? Maybe we don't even need to touch gaming, as it works with any Dell computer type and user base.

Comment

Nice. I wish they also had something from the RPM side, like openSUSE or Fedora (both would work better for the business type, too, what with SLED and RHEL respectively), and they could have their statistics tracking repository for RPM distros too.

Comment

Windows is like a bad love affair; it's too bad Dell forgets the bad times and remembers only the good.
          All those Activation challenges and viruses.
          Out of the box, Ubuntu users get a web processor, up-to-date web-browser, zero worry driver installations, and piece of mind.
          What's to install? It practically installs itself!

Case in point, I know people who's hardest challenge was getting the PC to boot from CDROM. Installation was a breeze.

Comment

I guess I should golf clap for Dell putting forth the effort.

I'm reading too much into it of course, but I find the phrasing differences interesting:
            "1. Do you need to Install Ubuntu on your Dell PC?" & "1. Do you need to Dual Boot your PC with Ubuntu and a Windows OS?"
            vs
            "1. You want to install Windows 7 Professional on your Dell PC" & "Perform a Clean Installation of Windows 8"

I also think "Note: If you install an operating system other than the one that shipped with your system, then you do so at your own risk. Dell can't certify that the hardware will be compatible and we may not be able to support the system in that configuration." runs the risk of discouraging users.

The link provided under "Have you checked your system type is one of those certified by Canonical as being suitable for Ubuntu?" returns a 404; it should be http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/...p&vendors=Dell instead. "If you have and it's supported on this list then carry on." Users can't very well do that if they can't find the list.

Comment

Sorry, but this is a joke. They can sell Ubuntu preinstalled machines, and they used to do it more than now (I got a netbook back in the day, and my wife got an xps 13 a year ago, which is just wonderful, though pricey). They do sell Chromebooks, which are not ubuntu, but they are linux. Anyways, that's how you get people to use Linux. Not by sending them to a website, where the first question, to eidolon's point, is "Do you really need this?". And the second question is "Did you check this boring certification list?" Sigh.

Comment

Working...
              X