Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Teases Upcoming Radeon "Fiji" GPU Launch

Phoronix: AMD Teases Upcoming Radeon "Fiji" GPU Launch

Today AMD posted a new video entitled "It's Coming..." to tease their upcoming graphics processor launch...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Not really interested in buying personally because I'm not due an upgrade, but really interested in what they do. Key things for me is performance per watt and to see the effects of HBM. And I'd love to see the performance of the open source driver vs Catalyst.

A strong AMD is vital to the strength of the industry.

People have been whining that 4GB isn't enough for a top-tier card, but I disagree, I think that's plenty for this generation.

Comment

I wouldn't get too excited yet.

According to this leaked benchmark, the 390X is only a tiny sliver faster than the Nvidia Titan X.

What will matter is how much it costs. If it costs similar to the $1000 Titan X then it will be all yawns and on Linux it will probably run like a dog with fglrx.

Over in Asia a handful of benchmarks leaked. As fake as can be likely as the source shows results of the AMD R9 390X, Nvidia GTX 980 Ti and Titan X. So by all means take the results with a ginormous ...
      Last edited by Xaero_Vincent; 28 May 2015, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
        I wouldn't get too excited yet.

According to this leaked benchmark, the 390X is only a tiny sliver faster than the Nvidia Titan X.

What will matter is how much it costs. If it costs similar to the $1000 Titan X then it will be all yawns and on Linux it will probably run like a dog with fglrx.

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/amd...enchmarks.html

It has nothing to do with Catalyst. Its just that 1/3 of the Nvidia cores since Fermi is 64bit, some of them can execute 32bit word in a single circle instead of four, there are also hidden units like SFUs. So an Nvidia Gpu with 2000 shaders is like an AMD with 3000 shaders in the same frequency. And that is only vs GCN with FMAC, because HD5000-6000 they have 2/3 of that they claim if you measure it in FMAC.

Comment

I think I'll buy one. Perhaps not the top high end, which are expensive and usually noisy/hot.
          I need an upgrade, and the GCN support is quite ok for the open source driver.

Comment

You can ignore all the Radeon Rx 300 series, because they're all just old rebranded cards from the Rx 200 series. With the exception Fiji. However, Fiji may use up to 375 W, so its very hungry.

The good thing about cards with HBM memory, such as Fiji is that the memory takes up less physical space, so they are significantly shorter.

Comment

Nice, can't wait for a laptop with Skylake and amdgpu dedicated graphics.
              ## VGA ##
              AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
              Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Do we know anything about VP9 support???

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                  You can ignore all the Radeon Rx 300 series, because they're all just old rebranded cards from the Rx 200 series. With the exception Fiji. However, Fiji may use up to 375 W, so its very hungry.

The good thing about cards with HBM memory, such as Fiji is that the memory takes up less physical space, so they are significantly shorter.
                  Well you say that but nvidia are still on 28 as well and most AMD cards can hold their own against them. With exception to gameworks games that are designed to run like shit on anything but some nvidia cards, and a few linux games, usually ones with wrappers (eon/wine).... Leaving glitches and crashes out of the equation because there have been a few good drivers here and there and many broken ones form both companies.

saying that... the latest news leak is that the 390 isn't fiji but hawaii, that fiji will be like nvidia's titan where it has it's own brand name.... (at least according to a certain reliable source @ semiaccurate)

HBM has higher bandwith and uses much less power. If it's true and fiji is WCE only that will stop quite a few people from buying.

now my plans are to hope michael picks up a fiji verifies working drivers and I willl blow my money wad all over AMD.

Comment

I was very excited about the new 300 series until that driver leaked and it became apparent they've re-branded the entire series with the exception of the top class, enthusiast level, Fiji cards. So yeah - another disappointment. I'm guessing Samsung are waiting for AMD to completely run itself into the ground so they can buy it out for peanuts.

Comment

Working...
                    X