Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Android M Should Bring Greater Performance & Efficiency

Phoronix: Android M Should Bring Greater Performance & Efficiency

Google officially unveiled Android M today from their I/O 2015 conference today...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

But right now is it worth it to upgrade to 5.1? It was supposed to be better than 4.4 but people are still complaining a lot about it because many problems, but I expect android M to be more stable since the changes are not too big like they were in lollipop.

Comment

I don't have any problems with 5.1 with my Nexus 5. Take from that what you will.
      The memory bug is by all accounts gone, in 5.0 it was an awful mess requiring me to reboot every other day; I am somewhere in the hundreds of hours of uptime now.
      People are still arguing about battery time. It's fine for me, but it was never great to begin with (4.4 that is.) It's very dependent on what you run on your phone, and of course what kind of phone you have, my nexus is fine with 2300mAh (minus whatever capacity has been lost since release day,) I can only imagine the 3000mAh in the LG G4 being amazing.

Comment

For what its worth, I'm surprised Microsoft isn't also proudly announcing the release of Android M. I mean, at this point, Android is ostensibly *their* distribution. Before any company can use Android, they have to genuflect before Microsoft, sign licensing deals, or prepare for closed-door extortion, I mean protection money, er, patent lawsuit. The latest article at Techrights begins:

"Having spent several years bragging about the number of companies Microsoft bullied into Android ?patent deals?, Microsoft now starts bragging about the number of companies Microsoft bullied into Android ?Microsoft deals? (which relates to the former because the Taiwanese press says Microsoft offers patent concessions in exchange for installation/bundling of Microsoft spyware). This is extortion, plain and simple. It?s based on patent litigation threats and bribes. As Venture Beat puts it: ?The news follows Microsoft?s announcement in March that it had gotten Samsung, Dell, and several regional hardware makers to sell Android devices packed with those same Microsoft apps.?

It's well-known that MS makes more money, per install, from Android than their own mobile OS. It baffles me that Google isn't defending Android. Why?!? I have one Android device, but won't be getting another. If Google can't be bothered to defend its product, I can't be bothered to use it. I'll be going with Apple (or Ubuntu if it ever makes it onto decent hardware).

Comment

Originally posted by hrkristian View Post
          I don't have any problems with 5.1 with my Nexus 5. Take from that what you will.
          The memory bug is by all accounts gone, in 5.0 it was an awful mess requiring me to reboot every other day; I am somewhere in the hundreds of hours of uptime now.
          People are still arguing about battery time. It's fine for me, but it was never great to begin with (4.4 that is.) It's very dependent on what you run on your phone, and of course what kind of phone you have, my nexus is fine with 2300mAh (minus whatever capacity has been lost since release day,) I can only imagine the 3000mAh in the LG G4 being amazing.
          I have insane memory leak with 5.1 and Nexus 5. I have to reboot phone every up to 2 days depending on usage to fix the usual problems such as music stopping and home screen being redrawn. I have installed M and will see if they are fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by viceversa View Post
            It's well-known that MS makes more money, per install, from Android than their own mobile OS. It baffles me that Google isn't defending Android. Why?!? I have one Android device, but won't be getting another. If Google can't be bothered to defend its product, I can't be bothered to use it. I'll be going with Apple (or Ubuntu if it ever makes it onto decent hardware).
            Does Android even ship with fat32 anymore? I thought they dumped that a couple of releases ago.

Comment

Originally posted by viceversa View Post
              For what its worth, I'm surprised Microsoft isn't also proudly announcing the release of Android M. I mean, at this point, Android is ostensibly *their* distribution. Before any company can use Android, they have to genuflect before Microsoft, sign licensing deals, or prepare for closed-door extortion, I mean protection money, er, patent lawsuit. The latest article at Techrights begins:

"Having spent several years bragging about the number of companies Microsoft bullied into Android ‘patent deals’, Microsoft now starts bragging about the number of companies Microsoft bullied into Android ‘Microsoft deals’ (which relates to the former because the Taiwanese press says Microsoft offers patent concessions in exchange for installation/bundling of Microsoft spyware). This is extortion, plain and simple. It’s based on patent litigation threats and bribes. As Venture Beat puts it: “The news follows Microsoft’s announcement in March that it had gotten Samsung, Dell, and several regional hardware makers to sell Android devices packed with those same Microsoft apps.”

...so you're dropping android for, arguably, the the worst of the big three (when it comes to open source)

Comment

Originally posted by edoantonioco View Post
                But right now is it worth it to upgrade to 5.1? It was supposed to be better than 4.4 but people are still complaining a lot about it because many problems, but I expect android M to be more stable since the changes are not too big like they were in lollipop.
                A full 100% of those "it is bugz" complaints are from retards. They all come down to one id10t who saw some crappy game eat up all his RAM and thought he was being smart when he called "memory leak". Then all the other retards who don't know the first thing about computer engineering or Android memory management jumped onto that buzzword for which they don't even have the foggiest idea of its meaning, and it became an "internet thing", yet means nothing and did not actually relate to any actual usability issues.

The problem is that when you give a computer to a retard, who uses it to run chinese viruses and games written by idiots, then those viruses and games suck up your RAM, the retard isn't smart enough to distinguish between the operating system and the crap he is running ON it.

I.e., read through forums about the Nexus 9 and see all the morons saying that they have to reboot it twice a day to keep the memory free... yet mine, my wife's, the three my parents have (yep, I have two parents who between them, have THREE nexus 9's) all have uptimes that run all the way from one system update to the next (and if you know anything about the trouble that google has with those tegra chips, you'll know that they were on 5.0 basically forever, so those uptimes ended up counted in MONTHS). No performance issues at all, no sluggishness, no glitching out. TOTALLY SOLID.

There is also the other group of retards, who are unable to distinguish between features (or lack of features) and bugs. I.e., the inability to remove wifi tethering button from the quick settings list was not a bug... it was just not a feature.

You would not be going wrong to go to 5.x. You WOULD be going wrong to listen to the imbiciles who make up the stories of "so buggy it is unusable". 5.x is positively brilliant.

Comment

Originally posted by hrkristian View Post
                  Nexus 5 battery was always pretty weak, but from our observation (wife's phone), every update made it just a bit better. There were some regressions at some points, such as the lead-up to Android 5, seemed that the google services was going bananas, I had to actually set up some hacks to kill alarms and wakelocks related to network location, which would suck the battery dead in about 6 hours, even with the screen off the whole time.

Since 5.0 though, its been incredibly smooth, and battery life no longer a concern at all.

And FWIW: Even with the massive screen on the Nexus 6, goes 2 days of "normal" usage (i.e., not a constant media or video games device, rather phone calls, notes, emails, etc.), or about 5-6 days of very "light" usage. That's a 3200 mAh battery.

Comment

Originally posted by the303 View Post
                    I have insane memory leak with 5.1 and Nexus 5. I have to reboot phone every up to 2 days depending on usage to fix the usual problems such as music stopping and home screen being redrawn. I have installed M and will see if they are fixed.
                    Stop running software that comes from china. That problem is 100% your own doing.

Comment

Working...
                    X