Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora's "Fedup" To Be Replaced In Fedora 23

Phoronix: Fedora's "Fedup" To Be Replaced In Fedora 23

Fedup right now is the command for handling in-place Fedora upgrades from release-to-release and it's been around since Fedora 17. However, with the Fedora 23 release due out in late 2015, that utility will likely be replaced with a new version to handle upgrading to new releases...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

FedUp should have never been introduced. I've tried it once, and it just crashed my system. Meanwhile, the "unsupported" yum upgrade path has always worked, and in that case at lease I see what is happening! Oh, and I am not offline during the process...

Seriously, just support yum (now dnf), and lvm/btrfs/whatever snapshot rollbacks!

Comment

So one could say that Fedora devs are... fed up with FedUp! *badum tisch*

Comment

Originally posted by fagzal View Post
        FedUp should have never been introduced. I've tried it once, and it just crashed my system. Meanwhile, the "unsupported" yum upgrade path has always worked, and in that case at lease I see what is happening! Oh, and I am not offline during the process...

Seriously, just support yum (now dnf), and lvm/btrfs/whatever snapshot rollbacks!

I've tried it twice recently.

The first time was upgrading Fedora 21 to 22 with the GNOME desktop, it worked perfectly.

The second time was with a KDE desktop, I had to remove the RPM Fusion repositories for it to work before the upgrade, and after the upgrade it reset my rasterizer to OpenGL 2.1 instead of 3.1 causing graphical glitches until I restored it in the System Settings. Everything else seems to work fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeder View Post

I've tried it twice recently.

The first time was upgrading Fedora 21 to 22 with the GNOME desktop, it worked perfectly.

The second time was with a KDE desktop, I had to remove the RPM Fusion repositories for it to work before the upgrade, and after the upgrade it reset my rasterizer to OpenGL 2.1 instead of 3.1 causing graphical glitches until I restored it in the System Settings. Everything else seems to work fine.
          If the KDE upgrade was F21-->F22 then the rasterizer issue is because KDE changed the location for the user configs. KDE4 won't read from 5's location and 5 won't read from 4's location. Don't know what the issue was with RPMFusion because i did an F21-->F22 upgrade and it worked fine with rpmfusion.
          All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post

If the KDE upgrade was F21-->F22 then the rasterizer issue is because KDE changed the location for the user configs. KDE4 won't read from 5's location and 5 won't read from 4's location. Don't know what the issue was with RPMFusion because i did an F21-->F22 upgrade and it worked fine with rpmfusion.
            The message with RPM Fusion seemed to say something about the repository keys having some sort of problem. It was easier to just remove the repository and install it again than trying to diagnose what went wrong.

Comment

going by the devel list, some are all for it, but some don t like it at all. https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipe...ay/210905.html

if Microsoft are going down this Route though with Windows10 , i wouldnt mind it myself as long as when i got the upgrade notice that the next Big update was pretty much stable

but i like Fedora or the idea of it being a Rolling release, i think if one wants stable thats gonna be supported over 5+ years they should go for CentOS or RHEL
              Last edited by Anvil; 29 May 2015, 02:00 AM.

Comment

I thinks it's normal to upgrade thee OS with the normal package tools. Also easier.

Comment

Wouldn't it be cleaner to upgrade only a couple of packages offline -- only ones that really require it -- and then upgrade the rest online?

Comment

My experience with FedUp is actually positive here.

My oldest workstation has been using to upgrade from F19 -> F20 -> F21 -> F22.
                    Three other PCs and laptops in my family were upgraded F21 to F22.
                    No issue at all.

Comment

Working...
                    X