For AMD Users, Linux 4.2 Will Bring The New AMDGPU Driver & VCE1 For Radeon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For AMD Users, Linux 4.2 Will Bring The New AMDGPU Driver & VCE1 For Radeon

Phoronix: For AMD Users, Linux 4.2 Will Bring The New AMDGPU Driver & VCE1 For Radeon

Alex Deucher of AMD has filed his main pull request today for the Radeon DRM driver updates to be integrated in the upcoming Linux 4.2 kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So, basically any performance improvement for existing hadrware will only come from open source drivers, while Catalyst advancement will be reserved for the new architecture? Interesting decision, considering it looks like almost all of the 300 series cards will be re-brands.

Comment

Verge, Orland, and Arbua graphics cards.
      To much beers i think

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

To much beers i think
        I must say I don't even know what 'Arbua' is supposed to correct to ...

Comment

Originally posted by CrystalGamma View Post

I must say I don't even know what 'Arbua' is supposed to correct to ...
          First letter wrong, second added and third have permuted letters == for sure too much beers or lack of sleep

Comment

Originally posted by mao_dze_dun View Post
            So, basically any performance improvement for existing hadrware will only come from open source drivers, while Catalyst advancement will be reserved for the new architecture? Interesting decision, considering it looks like almost all of the 300 series cards will be re-brands.
            How did you arrive at that conclusion? Catalyst will continue improving with both AMDGPU and their blob kernel driver for older cards.

Comment

I'm really not sure whether I should risk it and buy me an AMD GPU. This is a great move I'ld like to support but I can't be sure when it will be fully functional and what performance it gives. Ofcourse AMD GPU's still are quite warm when in use :/
              Additionally the Windows drivers are still really bad it seems ? and I'm still bound to fire it up once in a time.

nVidia should not be supported but I think I still will go with them, hopefully the last time.

Comment

Hi, could anyone point me to how to use the VCE block? I understand it's over OpenMax, which essentialy limits me to gstreamer, but I for the life of me can't figure out how to use gstreamer with openMax. I'd like to use it for direct encoding from with tvheadend.

Awesome work AMD guys, really glad to see I "chose correctly"

Comment

Can't wait to see the Tonga benchmarks

Comment

Originally posted by larkey View Post
                    I'm really not sure whether I should risk it and buy me an AMD GPU. This is a great move I'ld like to support but I can't be sure when it will be fully functional and what performance it gives. Ofcourse AMD GPU's still are quite warm when in use :/
                    Additionally the Windows drivers are still really bad it seems ? and I'm still bound to fire it up once in a time.

nVidia should not be supported but I think I still will go with them, hopefully the last time.
                    Why not take the plunge and just do it? I bought my Hawaii (r290) more than a year ago and I'm happy with it. Sure, the drivers are lagging a bit, but at least they are FOSS! I can even play Civilization and other modern games without issues. This is a huge deal to me.
                    I knew when I bought it that I would have to wait for proper support, etc, but now that it's there I'm happy I went with my ethical values instead of monetary value.

Comment

Working...
                    X