Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HiSense Chromebook Benchmarks When Running Ubuntu Linux

Phoronix: HiSense Chromebook Benchmarks When Running Ubuntu Linux

Ealier this year the HiSense Chromebook was released at Walmart in the US, a 11.6-inch quad-core ARM notebook priced at just $149 USD and running ChromeOS. But how well does it run Ubuntu Linux?..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It will be great to benchmark "ubuntubooks", native ones as the Dell one http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-15...-laptop-ubuntu and chromebooks with ubuntu installed even native vs Crouton performance, and of course with a price / performance box and not only to benchmark the SoCs, being laptops the screen the keyboard, the touchpad and the webcam are also elements to benchmark.

Comment

It looks like the benchmarked system was compiled with --with-fpu=vfpv3-d16 which is kind of suboptimal (will use only 16 of the 32 available FP registers).

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
        It looks like the benchmarked system was compiled with --with-fpu=vfpv3-d16 which is kind of suboptimal (will use only 16 of the 32 available FP registers).
        That tends to be a default, probably to support a wider hardware selection.

Comment

Originally posted by davidlt View Post

Perhaps Michael should test this particulat Chromebook with the setting to allow ALL 32 registers to be used to see if it is compatible.

Comment

And here I thought Ubuntu didn't exist in ARM flavor anymore...
            Looks like I was wrong. But I don't seem able to find anything

Comment

Originally posted by davidlt View Post
              Probably. But it will put Ubuntu at a disadvantage vs. ChromeOS which is compiled to match the target platform. vfpv3-d16 vs. d32 can make a significant difference in FP-heavy code (~20% in OpenBLAS GEMM).

Originally posted by Exdeus View Post
              And here I thought Ubuntu didn't exist in ARM flavor anymore...
              Looks like I was wrong. But I don't seem able to find anything
              There are official Ubuntu downloads for ARM and also builds provided by Linaro.

Comment

Thanks mate !
                They seem to be for really specific devices. Wich one would you advise for a chromebook ?

Comment

I'm the person that ran the benchmarks. They were run under crouton, as even with debugging features enabled and attempting to manually enable USB boot from the command line, I am unable to get it to actually boot from USB. There doesn't appear to be any custom BIOS available for this model for me to use to fix the boot issue. I have it in my possession for a few more days if anyone knows how to get this specific model to boot from USB (instructions for other models have already been tried) or has other tests that they want me to run in crouton.

Comment

Working...
                  X