Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNU Octave 4.0 Released, Includes A GUI & OpenGL

Phoronix: GNU Octave 4.0 Released, Includes A GUI & OpenGL

GNU Octave, a high-level programming language for numerical computations and an open-source alternative to MATLAB, is out this weekend with a huge release. Meet GNU Octave 4.0...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I think when this release reaches Debian, I'll give it a try. I don't think my university will switch from Matlab anytime soon, but it would be very nice if I didn't have to pay for a Matlab license after I graduate.

Comment

In my company a lot of people use Octave instead of Matlab. When it will be packaged for F22, I will check the new GUI just for curiosity.

Comment

It is already on openSUSE's Science repo (in fact, I knew about the new version because apper told me it was available ). The UI is really nice, with a workspace browser, an integrated editor for your m-files and easy access to the documentation.

Comment

So when will we see Phoronix benchmarks of Octave vs. SciLab vs. MATLAB?

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
            So when will we see Phoronix benchmarks of Octave vs. SciLab vs. MATLAB?

Krhm matlab costs 2k?, I doubt someone should just buy a license to do some silly benchmarks with it. Octave vs scilab would work though.

Comment

For anyone wanting to try the GUI but still want the repo version, you can get the GUI in 3.8 by just opening it with --force-gui

Can anyone say if the GUI in 4.0 is significantly different from the one in 3.8?

Comment

Originally posted by tuke81 View Post

Krhm matlab costs 2k?, I doubt someone should just buy a license to do some silly benchmarks with it. Octave vs scilab would work though.
                2k is bearable. The ad revenues aren't that small. Didn't Michael just buy a server with 96 GB of ECC RAM for this forum software?

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

2k is bearable. The ad revenues aren't that small. Didn't Michael just buy a server with 96 GB of ECC RAM for this forum software?
                  2K expenses for one article? No way bearable... Heck buying graphics cards require many articles out of it to just cover the cost. The new web server isn't just for the forums but all of Phoronix.com and it's not buying it but rather renting the web server from data center.
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Why not Michael reaching out to Mathworks about a short-term trial license for Matlab? In some cases Mathworks does that so no harm in asking them and I am sure they'd welcome the competition.

Comment

Working...
                    X