Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Benchmarks Of Eltechs ExaGear For x86 Apps On ARM

Phoronix: New Benchmarks Of Eltechs ExaGear For x86 Apps On ARM

In the past we've written about Eltechs' ExaGear Desktop software that claims to be 4.5x faster than QEMU and allows x86 Windows/Linux programs to run on ARM. The company has sent over their latest benchmark results of their latest performance claims...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Thats nice, but i cant see a reason for this. If i want x86 Application the i use a x86 CPU. Even with this CPUs there are very low power cpus.

Comment

Why not make a translator that translates binary files?
      If speed is of the essence and avoiding creating extra binary files, why not make a translator that translates the whole program when launching. After translation is complete executes the translated program at native speed?

Comment

They must be real confident on their software not to offer a $20 license in exchange for some decent benchmarking...

Comment

plonoma
          The main reason is dynamic generating code: JIT, patching of jump target for dynamic linking etc.

Comment

Might be useful for something like Wine but not really open source programs since those can and have been recompiled for ARM for the Raspberry Debian OS "Raspbian". IIRC, this software doesn't support 3D accelerated graphics, so it still won't be useful for playing low-end indie games on Raspbian via x86 Steam.

Comment

What bugs me is all the Humble Bundle games that get released for x86 Linux and ARM Android but not ARM Linux. I know the GPU driver situation can be a bit of a headache but they could still release binaries all the same.

Comment

Well, don't know how does ExaGear perform on Pi but I'm totally content with the way it works on Nexus 7 allowing my wife to play Heroes of Might and Magic III while traveling. It's really amazing piece of software I don't regret buying.

Comment

lexa2, you realize that you can run Heroes 3 on ARM Android natively, right? There's an open-source engine for HoMM3 with official Android ARM builds: http://forum.vcmi.eu/portal.php

Michael, if I buy that ExaGear thing for you, will you be able to properly benchmark it?

This data is pretty much useless because they've recompiled the x86 binaries and that's not something a regular user would do; besides, if the program can be recompiled on x86, it means it's source code is available and most likely it's been already natively ported to ARM anyway.

Also, their data is missing an important reference point - the native performance.

Comment

Originally posted by Shnatsel View Post
                    lexa2, you realize that you can run Heroes 3 on ARM Android natively, right? There's an open-source engine for HoMM3 with official Android ARM builds: http://forum.vcmi.eu/portal.php
                    Yep, I know that there's vcmi out there and I even tried it prior to buying ExaGear Strategies. Unfortunately vcmi is not at a feature parity with HoMM3 SoD. Official HoMM3 "HD" remastered edition is also a no-no as it is (a) unstable and (b) only contains RoE content. Thus the only way to get full SoD on android tablet was to use ExaGear software. I tried it and it worked fine. So I paid for it and - as stated in previous post - don't regret it.

Comment

Working...
                    X