Benchmarking The Latest AMD & NVIDIA Graphics Cards On Ubuntu Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Benchmarking The Latest AMD & NVIDIA Graphics Cards On Ubuntu Linux

Phoronix: Benchmarking The Latest AMD & NVIDIA Graphics Cards On Ubuntu Linux

Last year for the 10th Phoronix birthday I did a 60+ GPU comparison with the open-source drivers and a 30-way graphics card comparison with the binary AMD/NVIDIA Linux drivers. With Phoronix turning eleven this week, I did another large graphics card comparison under Linux... The results today aren't as large as last year, but represent most of the latest-generation AMD and NVIDIA hardware while running Ubuntu 15.04. With more games coming to Linux, there's new titles covered in this year's massive comparison including Civilization: Beyond Earth, Metro 2033 Redux, and many others.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Seems like AMD's openCL performance is pretty good, so at least they've got something. Nice to see a ~$275 GPU outperform a $1000 GPU.

Comment

Hopefully the team AMD assembled to resolve Catalyst problems is able to actually do some good in a reasonable amount of time. But honestly the truth is I doubt we will see any good improvements until after the catalyst/amdgpu move. It doesn't make any sense for this "tiger team" to release anything until then.

Comment

Performance with Catalyst still suboptimal - Team Tiger plz fix!

Comment

Originally posted by alexThunder View Post
          Performance with Catalyst still suboptimal - Team Tiger plz fix!
          If this is bandwidth cap, Fury will solve it automaticaly... no tigers needed really, just cheetah

Comment

hmm worse than I thought. At the moment I use a Windows pc like a console a bit like steambox except steam crashes after every sleep cycle... so amd is ok. I would hate it at the moment with windows 8 installed I have no probs with the amd gpu of course, but even for gaming I think that will be my last windows I ever use. So when I buy a new graphics card I maybe have to buy a nvidia card for this task. The free driver from amd is important but for a proprieatary Linux gaming box which runs nonfree software it does not matter, either a pc is fully free or zero. And I know that some parts are still not free like firmwares and bioses, and I target that problem too, by not buying intel notebooks anymore (got one x220 before I bought nearly 100% amd notebooks anyway). Maybe the new bay trail gen atoms are less locked down or for a second pc I would make maybe a exception but for my main work rig I cannot buy a newer intel machine which is locked down to never install a coreboot or freeboot bios. escalating this like most people become no vegan from a all-eater, most will become a vegetarian first. sorry for going off-topic point is, for a gaming pc, where you want to use proprietary software a free driver is nice but not very important. excepy you fear that nvidia patches in new drivers stuff to make older cards slower.

Comment

amd and their piece of garbage drivers

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
                amd and their piece of garbage drivers
                Nvidia is garbage too , wanna example?

In benchmark Bioshock Infinite GTX 980 got 55 fps on Very High, does that looks fine to you? Fine isn't it... lets go

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...ronix-11&num=2

Few months ago same GTX 980 got 110 fps on Ultra How in the hell that is possibile... double frame rate on even higher settings

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...izations&num=2

Comment

Only reasoneble explination should be, that nvida threaded garbagization improve performance on ultra settings, but made thing worse on very high

Now what, flgrx should fix the drivers? That does not gona happen
                  Last edited by dungeon; 02 June 2015, 03:35 PM.

Comment

R9 290 giving the GTX 760 a run for its money

Comment

Working...
                    X