Systemd Looks To Move Off FreeDesktop.org Infrastructure & Onto GitHub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Systemd Looks To Move Off FreeDesktop.org Infrastructure & Onto GitHub

Phoronix: Systemd Looks To Move Off FreeDesktop.org Infrastructure & Onto GitHub

The latest controversy coming out of the systemd camp is an announcement this week that they're effectively deprecating their FreeDesktop.org-based infrastructure and looking to setup their workflow around GitHub...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    The latest controversy coming out of the systemd camp
    Why controversy?

Comment

Originally posted by teresaejunior View Post

Why controversy?
      Came here to ask the same question.

Neovim is a nice example of a project taking advantage of GitHub's features.

Comment

Wow, someone realized that mailing lists are totally unusable for project management?

Did not see that comin'.

Comment

Originally posted by teresaejunior View Post

Why controversy?
          Probably because the Github infrastructure is not free software. For a discussion on the topic see the discussion linked below.
          Lots of infrastructure for developers (Github, Launchpad, Jira and other Atlassian stuff, Basecamp, Trello,...) is not free software. Much of the non-free software that people want to use (things like Stack Exchange or T…

Comment

Originally posted by anarki View Post
            Wow, someone realized that mailing lists are totally unusable for project management?

Did not see that comin'.
            Ive been saying that shit for years.

Comment

Also worth reading: Why aren't you using github? by Boudewijn Rempt from KDE.

Comment

Originally posted by computerquip View Post

Ive been saying that shit for years.

Yeah, people using sourceforge who got their accounts stolen and had spywares accompany their sw would disagree.
                I'm not saying that it's gonna happen to github, but it's much easier to have a decentralised mailing list that can be recovered if majordomo goes haywire.
                If github goes haywire, everything except codebase is instantly gone.
                I still think that mailing lists (and by extension, emails) have their place in world, there are many advantages over centralised solutions such as github etc.
                And don't get me wrong, I'm using github for all my OSS code and few private projects, I'm just trying to not rely on them too much.

But I guess it would be ok if systemd lost all their bug tickets, nobody cares about bug tickets in systemd camp anyway (don't take that one literally, but sadly, they resolve bugs by saying that it's a feature not a bug and we should all bow down because opensource).

Comment

Why not use Gogs instead of GitHub? Then you can centrally manage your own GitHub-like web repo on your own server without the need for GitHub.
                  Last edited by mmstick; 03 June 2015, 06:08 PM.

Comment

Of course there is a controversy: A free software GPL licensed project (expected to save the world from??) using non-free software, as in github. Please Redhat, what's in your mind (or is it only in the systemd camp of your company?). See e.g. http://www.adamhyde.net/why-github-i...r-open-source/

Comment

Working...
                    X