Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cross-Platform HiDPI Support Ready For Testing In Qt

Phoronix: Cross-Platform HiDPI Support Ready For Testing In Qt

Sorvig Morten of The Qt Company has announced that the cross-platform high-DPI support for the Qt tool-kit has entered a tech preview state...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Day late and a dollar short, I've already switched back to GNOME 3.16 and found out that it's really quite nice. Even with Qt5 ships this as stable, it will be ages before KDE is ready for HiDPI environments.

Comment

Originally posted by soundingrod View Post
      Day late and a dollar short, I've already switched back to GNOME 3.16 and found out that it's really quite nice. Even with Qt5 ships this as stable, it will be ages before KDE is ready for HiDPI environments.
      I'm not so sure about that. Since KF5 came out, a lot of the work has been preparing KF5/Plasma5 for new features and especially Wayland. I wouldn't be surprised if they've already managed to prepare for this specific code to drop into stable. I say it takes 2 months, 3 tops (and only then because they're focusing on other things)

Comment

Qt5 already has HiDPI capabilities present, and KDE is using them.

This is just about moving some of that code into a more core location within Qt. Though Michael's summary certainly doesn't make it sound that way...

Comment

Currently only Fusion theme supports HiPDI and to use it:

-- set theme to Fusion
          -- set DPI to your desired
          -- set QT_DEVICE_PIXEL_RATIO, but its only integer and this is retarded and useless if your dpi is not 192.

In short, you need KDE as it scales things simply by setting DPI (e.g. app from all kits get scaling).

Too bad HiDPI in GNOME works only for its own apps, Qt and etc. will be tiny. GNOME doesn't let you set your DPI (impossible to implement) and Text Scaling gets ignored everywhere except GNOME itself.

Comment

Originally posted by magika View Post
            Currently only Fusion theme supports HiPDI and to use it:

-- set theme to Fusion
            -- set DPI to your desired
            -- set QT_DEVICE_PIXEL_RATIO, but its only integer and this is retarded and useless if your dpi is not 192.

In short, you need KDE as it scales things simply by setting DPI (e.g. app from all kits get scaling).
            Device pixel ratio scales all styles. Fusion and most styles actively maintains also scales by DPI. If you have 144 DPI screen (4k 27") pixel ratio 2 will get you a virtual DPI of 72. Which is entirely usable and default on OS XM

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post
              Device pixel ratio scales all styles. Fusion and most styles actively maintains also scales by DPI. If you have 144 DPI screen (4k 27") pixel ratio 2 will get you a virtual DPI of 72. Which is entirely usable and default on OS XM
              I was talking about style, only Fusion currently scales icons and things according to DPI. Besides, my screen is 1440p with 108 physical DPI, but things are still too small to read and I have to scale it by additional 25%; I set 135 DPI in KDE and 1.4 scaling in Chrome and GNOME, but, since QT_DEVICE_PIXEL_RATIO is integer, 2 is too large for me while 1 is too small.

Comment

Day late and a dollar short, I've already switched back to GNOME 3.16 and found out that it's really quite nice.
                It works nice when you have real HiDPI display but it's completely unusable on X1 with 2560x1440 - it's too tiny or too big, nothing in between. And if you add external FullHD LCDs into the mix, you're screwed completely. So the only setup I'm able to use is - force DPI in KDE, I found and compromise that works relatively ok on both X1 and FullHD monitors with Plasma 5 that is already DPI independent. So I'm happy Qt guys do not stick with integer only values (but supported) but they still allow real values! Thanks guys, I'm looking forward for it!

Comment

Don't know if it will help you, but I set dpi where X is started.

In my case /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf:

xserver-command=X -dpi <your dpi>

After this, it shouldn't matter what desktop env you have.

Comment

Originally posted by magika View Post
                    I was talking about style, only Fusion currently scales icons and things according to DPI. Besides, my screen is 1440p with 108 physical DPI, but things are still too small to read and I have to scale it by additional 25%; I set 135 DPI in KDE and 1.4 scaling in Chrome and GNOME, but, since QT_DEVICE_PIXEL_RATIO is integer, 2 is too large for me while 1 is too small.
                    Text size is not controlled by style, and if specified in pt always scaled by DPI. Maybe you have application requesting fonts based on pixel size, that is not scaled by DPI.

Comment

Working...
                    X