Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 22 KDE Delivers A Great Plasma 5 Experience

Phoronix: Fedora 22 KDE Delivers A Great Plasma 5 Experience

Another ~6 months down, another Fedora release. While Fedora 23 looks to be an interesting release over all -- with some initial changes coming to Anaconda, and some changes coming to the upgrade process -- this release was more low-key for most of Fedora-land. Workstation saw updates to notifications and general theme'ing improvements, Gnome Software got AppData integration to bring the Software Center closer to an app-store experience. Of course Gnome Boxes and Gnome Builder were included as well, allowing for more out-of-the-box developer improvements in the realm of Virutalization and IDE's, respectively. But there weren't any ground breaking features across the board -- no swapping of the init system, no BTRFS, no Wayland by default, although GDM is running the Login Screen through Wayland.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I love KDE. Back when I was a Gnome user in the pre-v3 days, people used to complain that KDE had too many configuration options, and being that I was happy with the defaults Gnome provided back then, I felt that was a reasonable criticism. Keep it simple I thought. Then Gnome did Gnome 3, and I hated it. I'm glad I switched to KDE. Yes, there are a lot of configuration options. Yes, sometimes it takes a bit to figure out how to make it work the way you want. But you know what, you can pretty much be assured that you *will* be able to make it work the way you want, which certainly still can't be said for Gnome, even with 35 extensions installed. I haven't had many problems with KDE 4, but I look forward to upgrading from Fedora 21 to 22 soon to check out KDE 5.

Comment

Michael, where exactly are you getting the idea that muon is supposed to replace Apper? Unless something has changed as of late Muon is a frontend for Apt, whereas Apper is a frontend for packagekit.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
        Michael, where exactly are you getting the idea that muon is supposed to replace Apper? Unless something has changed as of late Muon is a frontend for Apt, whereas Apper is a frontend for packagekit.
        This article isn't written by Michael.

Comment

Muon is supposed to has multiple backend now, including one packagekit backend. Arch list dependecies on the packagekit stuff and the appstream stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post

This article isn't written by Michael.
            Derp, didn't pay attention to the header and assumed it was Michael... Well then Eric... same question to you

Comment

My only gripes with plasma 5 are memory leaks which are already fixed for 5.4, icon sizes in the panel need refinement, and they need to add back the option to start apps from the panel for people using the default menu style for Kickoff.

Comment

Derp, didn't pay attention to the header and assumed it was Michael... Well then Eric... same question to you
                Muon has an RPM backend these days, you can run it on Fedora if you enable the plasma-5 copr. There has been -talk- of eventually (maybe next release, maybe the one after, or maybe the one after that) of eventually swapping Apper out for muon because Muon has better support for AppData and gives a more "Software Center" / "App Store" like experience. Nothing's official, Apper could live forever, but there has been people talking about it.
                All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Prescience500 View Post
                  [...] and they need to add back the option to start apps from the panel for people using the default menu style for Kickoff.
                  Kickoff will likely be ported to the backend used by Kicker (the alternate menu) soon and gain that and various other features in the process.

FWIW: Something is off with the screenshots in this review - the default Plasma 5 theme is not really that low-contrast. It looks like GL compositing was on but the background contrast effect was disabled. So if you find yourself thinking "this is really hard to read" - don't panic, that's not how it's designed to look.

Comment

Unless something has changed as of late Muon is a frontend for Apt, whereas Apper is a frontend for packagekit.
                    libmuon has several backends, among them PackageKit.

Comment

Working...
                    X