OS X "El Capitan" Aims To Offer Better Performance, Metal Graphics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OS X "El Capitan" Aims To Offer Better Performance, Metal Graphics

Phoronix: OS X "El Capitan" Aims To Offer Better Performance, Metal Graphics

With Apple's WWDC event this week, they've revealed OS X 10.11 as being codenamed El Capitan. Here's some details about Apple's OS that will be competing this year with the likes of Windows 10, Fedora 23, and Ubuntu 15.10...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

ooof. I figured Metal would be coming to the desktop eventually. Which means games too, of course.

It seems like we were moving towards "everybody should use OpenGL to target all the platforms in one shot" to "every platform will have its own API".

Comment

Ohh that's very interesting. I am really curious how they beat Metal, an API explicitly designed for shared-memory GPU systems, to work on desktops. Unless they actually adapted (and thus changed) the buffer API, this smells like a big bucket of hackery.

Comment

It saddens me that Apple are going with their own API instead of Vulkan.

Comment

Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
          Ohh that's very interesting. I am really curious how they beat Metal, an API explicitly designed for shared-memory GPU systems, to work on desktops. Unless they actually adapted (and thus changed) the buffer API, this smells like a big bucket of hackery.

So, we know that Apple has been a part of the Vulkan group. I wonder if they took design cues from Vulkan on how to port a one architecture api to become something that works on multiple GPU architectures?

Comment

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
            Pushing exclusive APis, exclusive games, exclusive xyz... is only what is worth on those platforms.

What linux has as exclusive is GNU
            Last edited by dungeon; 08 June 2015, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
              OpenGl was an excellent example of how they failed to use a standard they did not design, it makes sense for them to not even try to support Vulkan, because they would fail as well.

Comment

Originally posted by dragorth View Post

So, we know that Apple has been a part of the Vulkan group. I wonder if they took design cues from Vulkan on how to port a one architecture api to become something that works on multiple GPU architectures?
                You don't need "design cues" for that. The matter of the fact is simply that on dedicated cards there are memory pools which are not visible to the CPU, so you need auxiliary so called "staging buffers" to get data into them.

Comment

Metal is a platform exclusive API on a platform where the number of gamers is very low. Well, good luck, Apple...

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
                    Metal is a platform exclusive API on a platform where the number of gamers is very low. Well, good luck, Apple...
                    Don't forget that Metal is also available on mobile devices with Apple A7 soc or newer so the number of gamers is increasing rapidly. This development is pretty sad to be honest because it reduces the changes for Vulkan to become a relevant 3D API or gain any traction.

The only party I can currently think of that could benefit from Vulkan is Valve, other (big) players role their own platform specific API (Microsoft, Apple) or support all of them (Unity 3D, Unreal) so they won't care if Vulkan succeeds or fails. Vulkan may technically be better than OpenGL but with a shrinking userbase it's pretty much off to a false start I guess .
                    Last edited by klaphark; 08 June 2015, 06:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X