Apple To Open-Source & Support Linux With Its Swift Programming Language

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple To Open-Source & Support Linux With Its Swift Programming Language

Phoronix: Apple To Open-Source & Support Linux With Its Swift Programming Language

Besides announcing OS X El Capitan, Apple announced today from their WWDC event that their Swift programming language will be open-sourced and they intend to support it on Linux too...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm just wondering how it compares with Vulkan...

Comment

I'm wondering what they're going to do about Cocoa. Big hole in the API there.

Comment

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
        Umm.. you're asking how a programming language compares to a graphics API?

Comment

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post

I think you want to comment here http://www.phoronix.com/forums/forum...metal-graphics

Comment

Those new languages look like garbage to me.I will stick with c/c++ until something better pop up

Comment

Originally posted by kalin View Post
              Those new languages look like garbage to me.I will stick with c/c++ until something better pop up
              Rust?
              All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by kalin View Post
                Is Rust also garbage?

Comment

I'm not kalin, but I think Rust is still a bit immature. Currently it has only one advantage over C++ and it's the safety. Oh, and its module system (Cargo). Overall it's (sometimes much) slower than C++ (assuming you try to avoid unsafe blocks) and compilation is slower too.
                  I've got excited about Rust not so long ago but after trying to write real code with it I faced the problems mentioned above AND found the code become more and more unreadable because of Rust's syntax. Yes, the example codes are pretty, but real code is much harder to read and understand than C++, at least for me (tons of apostrophes, underscores, unwrap()s, pubs, fns and impls, etc.)

Comment

Originally posted by yzsolt View Post
                    Yes, the example codes are pretty, but real code is much harder to read and understand than C++, at least for me (tons of apostrophes, underscores, unwrap()s, pubs, fns and impls, etc.)
                    Exactly what led me to Go.

Comment

Working...
                    X