Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SNA Is Four Years Old - Intel's 3.0 X.Org Driver Still Unreleased

Phoronix: SNA Is Four Years Old - Intel's 3.0 X.Org Driver Still Unreleased

Besides Phoronix celebrating its 11th birthday, last week Intel's SNA 2D acceleration architecture had its birthday and turned four years old. While the xf86-video-intel 3.0 DDX driver release is to make SNA the default for 2D acceleration over UXA, there's still no signs of this release happening...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Afaik SNA is a default for quite a long time, is it not (at least in 2.19 - 2.99 branches that every modern distro have).
    At this point I think pushing 3.0 tag would be a mere formality, sna is well tested, outperforms uxa/exa heavily and works well (bleeding edge git tree builds break PRIME compatibility from time to time, but it generally works).

Anyways, cudos to CW for actively maintaining&developing xf86-video-intel, that guy is a beast and most short lived regressions are fixed within low-hours from being reported. I run git-tree and obscure setups, I once reported trivial bug and CW pushed the fix in 7 minutes (!!!).
    Last edited by Guest; 09 June 2015, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tpruzina View Post
      Afaik SNA is a default for quite a long time, is it not (at least in 2.19 - 2.99 branches that every modern distro have).
      At this point I think pushing 3.0 tag would be a mere formality, sna is well tested, outperforms uxa/exa heavily and works well (bleeding edge git tree builds break PRIME compatibility from time to time, but it generally works).

Anyways, cudos to CW for actively maintaining&developing xf86-video-intel, that guy is a beast and most short lived regressions are fixed within low-hours from being reported. I run git-tree and obscure setups, I once reported trivial bug and CW pushed the fix in 7 minutes (!!!).
      Yes it's default in 2.99 that most distros use, but still that 3.0 has not been released as stable.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        but still that 3.0 has not been released as stable.
        What does it matter, when the 3.0 label would just be a formality? For an end user, it's important that the driver does what it's supposed to and is as fast as possible. Distros which ship 2.99 provide that, switching the label from 2.99 to 3.0 would change nothing in this regard. Distros that don't ship 2.99, well, they should, it would be in the best interest of their users.

That said, Arch had to backport a few fixes from git because users were reporting some issues, so a new release would have some meaning (though maybe such a release would uncover new bugs ). But the label of that release is completely irrelevant.

Comment

Kubuntu 15.04:
          Code:
          steve@x250:~$ [B]grep -i sna /var/log/Xorg.0.log[/B]
          [     4.109] (II) intel(0): SNA compiled: xserver-xorg-video-intel 2:2.99.917-1~exp1ubuntu2.1 (Timo Aaltonen <[email protected]>)
          [     4.109] (II) intel(0): SNA compiled for use with valgrind
          [     4.116] (II) intel(0): SNA initialized with Broadwell backend
          No changes from defaults.

Comment

The point is that there is still no stable release supporting SNA.
            ## VGA ##
            AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
            Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
              there is still no stable release supporting SNA.
              Yes, there is. It's called 2.99.917.

Just because the label is 2.99 instead of 3.0 doesn't mean the driver isn't stable. *That* is the point.

Comment

I think this is because Intel and Valve does not like number 3

Comment

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
                  Yes, there is. It's called 2.99.917.

Just because the label is 2.99 instead of 3.0 doesn't mean the driver isn't stable. *That* is the point.

That's because you don't know about versioning: x.99.9yz is meant to be an x+1 release candidate yz
                  ## VGA ##
                  AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                  Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Proper versioning -does- matter. But, I'm not going to criticize Intel for this because I don't know all the facts. They may have a good reason for not pushing the 3.0 release yet.

EDIT: My feelings on SNA is it's still laggy. It still has the same laggy feeling for years.. Like it's hiccuping and either Intel hasn't noticed or they just can't fix it. UXA is better in that respect, except that UXA is unusably buggy with any compositor. Right now it's a choice between unusably laggy vs unusably buggy with compositors.
                    Last edited by duby229; 10 June 2015, 08:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X