Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unreal Engine 4.8 Released With Nearly 200 Changes

Phoronix: Unreal Engine 4.8 Released With Nearly 200 Changes

Epic Games just announced the release of Unreal Engine 4.8 with "189 great changes" for game developers leveraging this AAA game engine...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hope there editor improved. Last time I checked it was totally unusable in Linux.

Comment

"multi-platform VR support"
      Good to see Oculus support on Linux although drivers and SDK will not be updated soon.

Comment

If you want something that is really FLOSS, check out Godot. Its 3D is not as advanced but its 2D engine is excellent.

Comment

the linux native editor is done:

Organize anything, together. Trello is a collaboration tool that organizes your projects into boards. In one glance, know what's being worked on, who's working on what, and where something is in a process.

we have to wait for Linux launcher:

Organize anything, together. Trello is a collaboration tool that organizes your projects into boards. In one glance, know what's being worked on, who's working on what, and where something is in a process.

pls, vote and subscribe.

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post

Good to see Oculus support on Linux although drivers and SDK will not be updated soon.
            And this means that there will be no support for the consumer version of the Oculus Rift.

Comment

Now we only need games using it.

Comment

Originally posted by Maxjen View Post
                And this means that there will be no support for the consumer version of the Oculus Rift.

This may be true, but is the fault of Oculus, who have decided not to support Linux or OS X as this time. The linux portion of this seems strange, as Oculus has to support Android, so they already have to support Linux to some extent.

Comment

Originally posted by dragorth View Post

This may be true, but is the fault of Oculus, who have decided not to support Linux or OS X as this time. The linux portion of this seems strange, as Oculus has to support Android, so they already have to support Linux to some extent.
                  I thought about that too. They probably mean desktop linux. The kernel support should be there, but the userspace support is something else. How do you port something from android to desktop linux? I assume that's the main issue.

EDIT: The problem is when I say desktop linux the first thought is, "Who makes that?" That's the dilemma. That's why I'm a supporter of standardized runtimes. Targeting a distributable version controlled runtime seems like the best possible solution.

EDIT2: Valve has one already. I would love to see other companies with commercial interest release runtimes.
                  Last edited by duby229; 10 June 2015, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger_Coder View Post
                    Hope there editor improved. Last time I checked it was totally unusable in Linux.
                    The Linux editor have been working really great since 4.8 preview. Some minor crashes from time to time, but that happens in the windows version as well.

Comment

Working...
                    X