Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 23 Moving Ahead With Its Python 3 Plans

Phoronix: Fedora 23 Moving Ahead With Its Python 3 Plans

While Python 3 aimed to be the default Python version installed in Fedora 22 (that in turn was carrying over work from Fedora 21), that didn't pan out and now for Fedora 23 they once again have the Py3 goal...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

DNF already supports Python 3 - even in Fedora 22 I have /usr/bin/dnf, /usr/bin/dnf-2 and /usr/bin/dnf-3 installed and dnf is a symlink to dnf-2.

I guess this rather means that in Fedora 23 the symlink will be switched to dnf-3 and dnf-2 (and it's Python 2 dependencies) will not be installed.

Comment

python3 by default wow fedora so modern much bleeding edge

but aint happened yet!

Comment

Originally posted by magika View Post
        python3 by default wow fedora so modern much bleeding edge

but aint happened yet!

The stated goal of Fedora has never been about bleeding edge or blinding shipping the latest software. In this case, shipping Python 3 by default involved several man years of work including Anaconda, system configuration tools, the dependency resolver, build systems etc since all of it is in Python.

Comment

wonder if RHEL8 will be python3 default also?

Michael, you couldnt Add more smileys to the Board could you so my friend bee can test them out
          Last edited by Anvil; 11 June 2015, 11:51 PM.

Comment

Meanwhile, Arch has had Python 3 by default for as long as I can remember (which doesn't mean much since I tend to forget a lot).
            Probably since before I switched to it from Ubuntu at the end of 2011.

Comment

Working...
            X