Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LibreOffice Enables GTK3 VCL Plug-In Building By Default

Phoronix: LibreOffice Enables GTK3 VCL Plug-In Building By Default

LibreOffice has enabled the building of GTK3+ support by default in its latest code, but don't get too excited quite yet...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
    LibreOffice with GTK3 + GNOME3 HIG.
    As long as whether or not it follows GNOME HIG is configurable based upon what VCL loads...I don't care. But if its "all or nothing" then it shouldn't follow Gnome3 HIG since it wouldn't fit in at all under Windows, OS X, or any other Linux DE.
    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

I hope they switch to something else like Qt or their own toolkit. Gtk3 is not usable.

Comment

Originally posted by stqn View Post
        I hope they switch to something else like Qt or their own toolkit. Gtk3 is not usable.
        Your comment makes me want to facepalm. They use their own toolkit, it's called VCL. The GTK3 bit is a plugin that themes VCL to make it feel at home within the GTK environment. These plugins are loaded on run time.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post

As long as whether or not it follows GNOME HIG is configurable based upon what VCL loads...I don't care. But if its "all or nothing" then it shouldn't follow Gnome3 HIG since it wouldn't fit in at all under Windows, OS X, or any other Linux DE.
          It wouldn't be all or nothing when such support is built on plugins. However if other DE's want good integration, they do have to invest more on it. LibreOffice is moving faster in terms of code changes as well as releases so older code without active maintenance is likely going to get left behind or dropped.

Comment

Why not? What's wrong with gtk3?

Comment

Can they please just strip out VCL already and use either GTK or Qt in its place? I don't care which I just want it to respect my themes already.

Comment

As SpyroRyder says, they use vcl. Also, if you want a qt office suite you should use calligra office. My understanding is that it should've long since passed lo in terms of functionality by now.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

Why not? What's wrong with gtk3?
                  Nothing, he just wants to provoke.

Originally posted by liam
                  [...] calligra office [...]
                  The last time I checked koffice (from which calligra was forked) their font rendering was utterly broken. I've been told, that this was a Qt thing and hard to work around. Hope that got fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post

Nothing, he just wants to provoke.

The last time I checked koffice (from which calligra was forked) their font rendering was utterly broken. I've been told, that this was a Qt thing and hard to work around. Hope that got fixed.
                    Koffice was discontinued 4 years ago. We are in QT5 land now and not on an ancient history course, Calligra is being ported to QT5.

Last month, in March, with the 2.9.0 release done, we Calligra developers followed our plans and started a branch named “frameworks”, to work on version 3.0, to be the first version bas…

Comment

Working...
                    X