Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve Begins Its Steam Summer Sale

Phoronix: Valve Begins Its Steam Summer Sale

For those that haven't heard yet, Valve has begun their annual Steam Summer Sale with a variety of Linux games...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Cool, i guess Metro Redux will be at $2.49 once opensource drivers catched up

Bought Trine 2 CS for $1.89 on DRM-Free steal party at GoG few days ago

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
      Bought Trine 2 CS for $1.89 on DRM-Free steal party at GoG few days ago
      What is this GOG you speak of?

Comment

Originally posted by eidolon View Post

What is this GOG you speak of?
        Steam competitor, of course for those who like competition and i like it

And i said that only because those Valve only news on Phoronix started to be boring to me and because i know that other exist

Comment

Speaking of DRM free some commentators have raised a concern about how valve can keep offering the current refund policy on the DRM-free steam games. There are steam games which do not use the optional DRM component and they can be copied to a different location and run without steam. While allows you to have a get a refund and still have the game.

Comment

GOG have been having sales for the last week. However, Metro's were not on that special list, and I'm keen to get them. I've stopped buying Steam personally. The one Metro (Last Light) on GOG isn't even linux-compatible.
            Hi

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
              However, Metro's were not on that special list, and I'm keen to get them.
              The one Metro (Last Light) on GOG isn't even linux-compatible.
              It was $13 or something at some point.
              But yes, it doesn't even matter since it has no GNU/Linux binary at the moment.
              Last edited by sbolokanov; 12 June 2015, 02:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by humbug View Post
                Speaking of DRM free some commentators have raised a concern about how valve can keep offering the current refund policy on the DRM-free steam games. There are steam games which do not use the optional DRM component and they can be copied to a different location and run without steam. While allows you to have a get a refund and still have the game.
                The counterpoint to that is that those DRM free games are generally all freely available over torrents, for people inclined to cheat the system anyway.

Using Steam and getting a refund just lets you be tracked by Valve and possibly denied sooner or later if you keep doing it.

I agree it's potentially a real issue, though, and needs to be watched to see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by humbug View Post
                  While allows you to have a get a refund and still have the game.
                  This particular line sounds like piracy to me.

Comment

Originally posted by sbolokanov View Post
                    It was $13 or something at some point.
                    But yes, it doesn't even matter since it has no GNU/Linux binary at the moment.
                    I have Metro Last Light for long from Steam and I think even Redux is available now for Linux.

Comment

Working...
                    X