Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is The AMD A10-7870K Fast Enough For Steam Linux Gaming?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is The AMD A10-7870K Fast Enough For Steam Linux Gaming?

Phoronix: Is The AMD A10-7870K Fast Enough For Steam Linux Gaming?

This week I started Linux testing of the AMD A10-7870K "Godavari" APU with Radeon R7 Graphics. I delivered some preview graphics numbers for this high-end APU yesterday, but for those wanting tests from Steam Linux games, here's some numbers covering that aspect of Linux gaming...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Just curious, why 15.4 beta rather than 15.5 beta ? My impression from other posts here is that 15.5 contains performance improvements for some Steam games, although it's not totally clear if those were in 15.4 as well since the big speed jumps were seen between 14.12 and 15.5.

EDIT -- hmm, maybe 15.4 had the changes too, your results seem in line with what nadro is reporting on an A10-7850...
    Last edited by bridgman; 12 June 2015, 11:23 AM.
    Test signature

Comment

And why aren't the graphical settings listed? Were the tests carried out with Low, Medium, High or Ultra preset? Was anti-aliasing on and if so - how much? We need a bit more info, is what I'm saying .

Edit: I'm curious for a performance comparison between 15.4 or 15.5, as well. Judging from the release notes , 15.5 is a bugfix release but I've yet to see an actual test
      Last edited by mao_dze_dun; 12 June 2015, 11:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mao_dze_dun View Post
        And why aren't the graphical settings listed? Were the test at Low, Medium, High or Ultra preset? Was anti-aliasing on and if so - how much? We need a bit more info, is what I'm saying .
        You can get that info by running PTS or looking at the test profile. For what information is exposed, shown on the graph.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
          Just curious, why 15.4 beta rather than 15.5 beta ? My impression from other posts here is that 15.5 contains performance improvements for some Steam games, although it's not totally clear if those were in 15.4 as well since the big speed jumps were seen between 14.12 and 15.5.

EDIT -- hmm, maybe 15.4 had the changes too, your results seem in line with what nadro is reporting on an A10-7850...
          Just was using what was provided by Ubuntu 15.04 when installing fglrx-updates.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

What would be interesting is trying to find out just what settings are playable, if 1080p is too much of a strain. Reduce the settings or resolution until it's not painful to play.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
              Phoronix: Is The AMD A10-7870K Fast Enough For Steam Linux Gaming?

Given that this is an AMD APU and given that memory timings have an almost linear affect on the GPU performance, it would be nice to know what memory was used.

Seriously Michael, what memory was used in this test? DDR3-1600? 2133? 2400? I know you have all of the above, and the latter would have been the most relevant, but you're not telling us. :-( ( I think I just figured out that if I don't quote you, you won't know to respond! )
              Last edited by linuxgeex; 28 June 2015, 07:43 PM.

Comment

the gpu is too poor for steam on windows or linux. Their new gen apu's however may be good enough, especially with vulkan if amd make a good driver for it.

Comment

This is kinda a silly article.
                  The old A8-3870 was good enough for "steam gaming" if you mean 1080p full tilt than no,some nvidia and amd cards suck hard enough on linux not to pull 60+fps on all linux titles at full HD.
                  My A8-3870 could wine skyrim at 30+fps 720p and torchlight full HD ~ 45. One more thought and I don't know if it is actually just responsiveness or fps but in metro the opensource drivers seemed faster. Just for LOL's I would like someone with this chip to launch dota with the steam overlay FPS showing and see how it compares to the stated 49fps for windows full HS maxium settings, which would be playable.

Comment

It is enough to do openarena phoronix benchmark to see difference between APUs and dedicated cards - i mean memory bandwidth difference .

APUs are always early capped there, but not dedicated cards
                    Last edited by dungeon; 12 June 2015, 05:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X