Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mir-On-X & Dynamic Double Buffering Are The Latest Mir Work

Phoronix: Mir-On-X & Dynamic Double Buffering Are The Latest Mir Work

Kevin Gunn of Canonical has provided another update on the latest developments happening around Unity 8 and their Mir display server...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Mir-on-X? Isn't the entire point of both Wayland and Mir to provide a better display system than X. What then is the point of creating a layer to have mir on top of the product it is meant to supercede and indeed runs on a compat layer over mir?

Comment

Originally posted by SpyroRyder View Post
      Mir-on-X? Isn't the entire point of both Wayland and Mir to provide a better display system than X. What then is the point of creating a layer to have mir on top of the product it is meant to supercede and indeed runs on a compat layer over mir?
      Legacy applications that use old toolkits and have no support for Mir/Wayland, like GIMP or Pidgin, wouldn't work without XMir/XWayland.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post

Legacy applications that use old toolkits and have no support for Mir/Wayland, like GIMP or Pidgin, wouldn't work without XMir/XWayland.
        Mir on X is probably something different than XMir. I guess it's just a backend to run the compositor as a window on your Xorg desktop. Kind of like what weston has for many years now. If you just type weston into the terminal on an X desktop it starts the weston shell on X, which is useful for testing and debugging.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
          Mir on X is probably something different than XMir. I guess it's just a backend to run the compositor as a window on your Xorg desktop. Kind of like what weston has for many years now. If you just type weston into the terminal on an X desktop it starts the weston shell on X, which is useful for testing and debugging.
          I wonder if this would allow Mir applications on Wayland through XWayland and if it is already possible to run Weston on Mir through XMir.

Comment

Originally posted by Maxjen View Post

I wonder if this would allow Mir applications on Wayland through XWayland and if it is already possible to run Weston on Mir through XMir.
            Probably, but I'd be surprised if MirX (not XMir) was rootless, since e.g. xephyr (X on X) or weston-x11 aren't rootless, either. Thus, you'd only be able to run a Mir desktop in a Wayland window.
            Last edited by oleid; 15 June 2015, 04:51 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X