Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More PRIME Features May Be Coming For X.Org Server 1.18

Phoronix: More PRIME Features May Be Coming For X.Org Server 1.18

David Airlie is looking at adding a few more PRIME (the open-source alternative to NVIDIA Optimus) features for X.Org Server 1.18...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hardware cursor support...

The lack of that was the big reason I bough an R9 270X instead of sticking with my 6750 + X300 combo.

Now if a nice DisplayPort 1.3 card running on the amdgpu kernel driver shows up and there are 46" 21:9 5k curved OLED monitors around....

Comment

PRIME is more then OSS of nVidia Optimus.
      It works on any pair of GPU (in case, nouveau/amd/intel has drivers)

Comment

Originally posted by souenzzo View Post
        yes and it also deals with the USB2 devices that we support. i.e. rotation is for them as well.

Comment

Thanks for all the excellent work you're doing, David!

Comment

Well, on my current Arch desktop PRIME doesn't shine... First, if I want a tear free desktop, I have to enable it in a config file for the Intel HD gpu. But then xrandr --listproviders doesn't list my Radeon card. Okay, delete the config file. Now radeon is in the list, but if I start an OpenGL application, its window will be black until I resize it (common problem among OpenGL compositors + PRIME). And vsync doesn't work when the dedicated card renders. And sometimes the whole system freezes several seconds after the application has started.
            Some months ago I didn't have these problems. I tested Minecraft with DRI_PRIME=1 and it just worked fine (maybe there wasn't vsync then either).

Comment

I'm apparently a bit slow. Took me this ling to realize the Transformers reference

Comment

Originally posted by yzsolt View Post
                I have to enable it in a config file for the Intel HD gpu. But then xrandr --listproviders doesn't list my Radeon card. Okay, delete the config file. Now radeon is in the list, but if I start an OpenGL application, its window will be black until I resize it (common problem among OpenGL compositors + PRIME).
                Use dri3? It can offload even without a compositor (and doesn't have the black window problem), doesn't need setup with --setprovideroffloadsink, can set up in ~/.driconf which gpu a program with a given name should render to and should even provide slightly better performance. http://lists.freedesktop.org/archive...ay/060131.html

You should only need /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf with content
                Code:
                Section "Device"
                Identifier "Intel Graphics"
                Driver "intel"
                Option "DRI" "3"
                EndSection
                Originally posted by yzsolt View Post
                And vsync doesn't work when the dedicated card renders.
                With dri3 offloading vsync is even worse. But only in some cases.

This is THE biggest issue that makes dri3 offloading unusable for anyone who is trying to have a good gaming experience. Many games work well, but for example counter strike go... I let the images speak for themselves: https://imgur.com/a/z042B. This NEEDS to be implemented, as it also causes some other issues: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=76367

Amazingly nine has a well working solution to this, so d3d9 games in wine with nine have no tearing and are very smooth, if you set the environment variable thread_submit=true.

Comment

Originally posted by souenzzo View Post
                  If by any combination, you mean excluding like combinations (nvidia+nvidia, amd+amd, intel+intel). At least, I can't use my APU and GPU at the same time (A10-6800k and r9-270x)...at least I figured out how to boot with both enabled. Apparently, ArchLinux doesn't like to boot if the iGPU is set to reserve more than 1GB. o_o

Comment

Originally posted by Nobu View Post
                    If by any combination, you mean excluding like combinations (nvidia+nvidia, amd+amd, intel+intel). At least, I can't use my APU and GPU at the same time (A10-6800k and r9-270x)...at least I figured out how to boot with both enabled.
                    I think it should work.

Have you tried with radeon's dri3 offloading? I'm not sure if it is enabled by default in arch, maybe you need xf86-video-ati from mesa git: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...ories#mesa-git

Then only creating /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-radeon.conf with
                    Code:
                    Section "Device"
                       Identifier  "Radeon"
                       Driver      "radeon"
                       Option      "DRI3"  "On"
                       Option "AccelMethod"           "glamor"  #https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ATI#Glamor
                    EndSection
                    Maybe it helps, maybe it doesn't.

Comment

Working...
                    X