Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA 352.21 Linux Driver Adds New GPU Support, Fixes

Phoronix: NVIDIA 352.21 Linux Driver Adds New GPU Support, Fixes

NVIDIA released the 352.21 Linux driver today as the latest release in their 352.xx driver series...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So I ordered a GTX 980 Ti and didn't even check to confirm that it had drivers ready - I guess I just expected it. NV's driver support remains excellent. Michael, do you want benchmarks, or are they going to send you a card? They should, you know

Comment

It's been over a year now without them fixing this....

https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/t...-12-gtx-580/1/

It may look somewhat harmless but it demolishes any sort of desktop usability.

Incredibly frustrating. Not a peep from anyone at nvidia despite numerous attempts to just get someone to say *something*

Comment

Originally posted by drspinderwalf View Post
        It's been over a year now without them fixing this....

https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/t...-12-gtx-580/1/

It may look somewhat harmless but it demolishes any sort of desktop usability.

Incredibly frustrating. Not a peep from anyone at nvidia despite numerous attempts to just get someone to say *something*
        Yes, the way the bug showed up for me in the end was that some UI widgets were not painting their last update. This meant that the text editor or the terminal often appeared frozen until you typed something. This sounds a bit harmless, but in practice was increasingly annoying over time.

I played around with all debug options I saw in Clutter's code, and I found using this here in the environment worked best as a work-around:

Code:
        export CLUTTER_PAINT=continuous-redraw
        This makes the thing run at a fixed 60 FPS (on 60 Hz screen). It normally only tries to update if there's something to update, so it might not be good for power usage, but I didn't see an issue on a desktop PC. Both the CPU and GPU load stayed low, both stayed cold, and the GPU kept staying in its lowest power state with reduced clocks.

Comment

I have no problems with my GTX770 on Ubuntu with Unity. Haven't use Gnome for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by drspinderwalf View Post
            Not a peep from anyone at nvidia despite numerous attempts to just get someone to say *something*
            looks like a gnome problem

Comment

Originally posted by gens View Post

looks like a gnome problem

No it isn't:

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
                where does it say what is the bug ?

edit: i see that its a race condition between threads ?
                Last edited by gens; 16 June 2015, 09:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ropid View Post

Yes, the way the bug showed up for me in the end was that some UI widgets were not painting their last update. This meant that the text editor or the terminal often appeared frozen until you typed something. This sounds a bit harmless, but in practice was increasingly annoying over time.

I played around with all debug options I saw in Clutter's code, and I found using this here in the environment worked best as a work-around:

Code:
                  export CLUTTER_PAINT=continuous-redraw
                  This makes the thing run at a fixed 60 FPS (on 60 Hz screen). It normally only tries to update if there's something to update, so it might not be good for power usage, but I didn't see an issue on a desktop PC. Both the CPU and GPU load stayed low, both stayed cold, and the GPU kept staying in its lowest power state with reduced clocks.
                  I tried this configuration and whereas it really avoids the bug, it is really unstable, had 2 crashes in a row.

Comment

In this drivers in wine with dirt 3 have more performance since fall in 349 drivers however dont have same performance than 346.72

Wine 1.7.39 + 349.12

Wine 1.7.45 + 346.72

Wine 1.7.45 + 352.21

Other cases like as mirrors edge also up performance however stay close to 346.72 depending game scene

Wine 1.7.45 + 346.72

Wine 1.7.45 + 352.21

In dead or alive 5 last round performance stay very similar

Wine 1.7.45 + 346.72

Wine 1.7.45 + 352.21

Comment

Working...
                    X