Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SUSE Continues Working On AMD HSA Support In GCC

Phoronix: SUSE Continues Working On AMD HSA Support In GCC

SUSE in cooperation with AMD continues working on the HSA (Heterogeneous System Architecture) support inside the GCC compiler stack...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It's great to see the HSA GCC support coming together albeit taking longer than anticipated with originally it looking like open-source HSA would be usable around the end of 2014.
    There's an important distinction between building up the core driver functionality (which we did deliver as planned in 2014) and building an ecosystem of languages and tools on top of it.
    Test signature

Comment

Better late than never. Where is this HSA optimised software? Closed or open source, I'd like to see real software that benefits from HSA.

Comment

It might be late but it's here, and i think bridgman makes a fair point.
        It's good to see new things from SUSE and AMD.
        I don't care if some think it's late, better late then never.
        Last edited by Nille_kungen; 17 June 2015, 12:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyChow View Post
          Better late than never. Where is this HSA optimised software? Closed or open source, I'd like to see real software that benefits from HSA.
          I guess the first thing you can look at is anything running on Catalyst OpenCL 2.0 -- it uses HSAIL and the HSA finalizer path for kernel code, but stays with the Catalyst OpenCL runtime in order to run on pre-HSA hardware.
          Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by AndyChow View Post
            OpenOffice Calc is an example of software that makes use of HSA and according to benchmarks it does make a huge difference for some operations: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...cy,3899-5.html

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

I guess the first thing you can look at is anything running on Catalyst OpenCL 2.0 -- it uses HSAIL and the HSA finalizer path for kernel code, but stays with the Catalyst OpenCL runtime in order to run on pre-HSA hardware.
              Can I see HSA as a more efficient backend for utilizing gpgpu resources?
              I would like to know if changing from a10-5800k to hsa capable kaveri+ resulting in better opencl performance.
              And maybe change from my r7-265 for 285 for full hsa potential.
              Thx for being in the forum, its nice to have someone who really knows the tech so we tech dummies can learn a thing or two.

Comment

Originally posted by Ansla View Post
                OpenOffice Calc is an example of software that makes use of HSA and according to benchmarks it does make a huge difference for some operations: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...cy,3899-5.html
                Is this actually implemented? I know there is an OpenCL implementation, which probably benefits Intel just as much. I think HSA support was made on a custom version that was never distributed. I could easilly be wrong.

Comment

Working...
                X