Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dota 2 Reborn Powered By Source 2 Is Now Available!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dota 2 Reborn Powered By Source 2 Is Now Available!

Phoronix: Dota 2 Reborn Powered By Source 2 Is Now Available!

Since last week we've been eagerly looking forward to Valve releasing Dota 2 Reborn in beta as their first Source 2 Engine game. Today that's become a reality! The first Source 2 Engine title is out and available for Steam Linux gamers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Well, they'll have to fix the non-Reborn client for the Reborn button to show up...

Working for a work around...

Comment

That's some quality news again...the Source 2 version has only been released on Windows so far. It's not available on Linux and Mac. From the official page:
      "We're still putting the finishing touches on the Mac and Linux clients and we hope to have them available in the coming weeks."

Comment

I legit didn't even see that... I feel cheated.

Comment

So much for linux being their new main platform

Comment

Well, I can't imagine a renderer that lives up to their claims being easy to implement in even modern 4.5 OpenGL, especially with the way drivers are right now. It's mildly understandable, although still a let down.

EDIT: Oh, and I blame part of the let down on Michael. Building up hype for something that there was no indication of happening.

Comment

Originally posted by Maxxie View Post
              So much for linux being their new main platform

They never said it would be. Last I checked the first Steam Boxes came with Windows. Valve's official stance on the matter has been that they want to provide equally good support on all platforms. They chose Linux to be the basis for Steam OS only because they thought it could be molded into a gaming OS easily, not because they're particularly dedicated to open source cause.

Comment

Originally posted by mao_dze_dun View Post

They never said it would be. Last I checked the first Steam Boxes came with Windows. Valve's official stance on the matter has been that they want to provide equally good support on all platforms. They chose Linux to be the basis for Steam OS only because they thought it could be molded into a gaming OS easily, not because they're particularly dedicated to open source cause.
                Why bother at all then? No point in doing that... So much effort without any *big* interest...

Comment

this is quite simple, user of dota 2 are 95% from windows, for testing and bug reporting more are better

Comment

Originally posted by Maxxie View Post

Why bother at all then? No point in doing that... So much effort without any *big* interest...
                    Are you saying that you'd prefer Valve never showed any interest in Linux and for Steam to still have fewer than 500 total linux titles?

Comment

Working...
                    X