Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora's Blivet Partition Manager Is Getting A New GUI

Phoronix: Fedora's Blivet Partition Manager Is Getting A New GUI

Vojtech Trefny has been working on blivet-gui for more than one year as a storage and partition manager for Fedora. Blivet-GUI's design was originally inspired by the popular GParted interface while using the Blivet back-end library for storage management that's used by Fedora's Anaconda Installer. Blivet-GUI is now in process of having an overhauled user-interface...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I really hope this makes it into the Fedora installer at some point. The current manual partitioning interface is a pain when you want raid or a specific partition order. It's not always clear what you will get in the end right now.

Comment

I hope it gets implemented and fast. Current partition setup in installer is completely counter-intuitive, unless you start with an empty hard disk.

So much so, that i rather bootstrap an installation with yum/dnf from fedora livecd instead of dealing with that confusing mess.

Comment

It's confusing even if you start with blank HDD. I struggled with it wile trying to install CentOS7 on top of 2 HDDs ? MD RAID1 for /boot and LVM on top of MD RAID1 for the rest. I wasted much of my time just trying to understand what exacly it's going to do.

Talking about Fedora, confusing installer was one of the reasons why I migrated my main computer to different distro.

Comment

I just finished setting up a sever using Blivet for partitioning just a couple of days ago and didn't find it all that difficult. On one small drive, I set up /boot, /swap, and /home and built a RAID5 array out of the remaining large drives.

What I really don't like about Blivet is that you cannot select multiple drives at a time to setup as a RAID partition. You have to manually create each one individually and then build the RAID and only after that can you tell it what mount point it will be.

Comment

Working...
          X