No announcement yet.

Should Ubuntu Phone Rebase To Android?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should Ubuntu Phone Rebase To Android?

Phoronix: Should Ubuntu Phone Rebase To Android?

While Jono Bacon is no longer working for Canonical, he hasn't stopped thinking about Ubuntu or being involved with the community. Over the night he wrote a lengthy blog post with his idea for rebasing the Ubuntu Phone off Android...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What developers always say about Android, is that it's terrible to develop for. Incompatible among devices and even Android versions. I only had a quick look, but yes the java stuff seems a huge mess. So Ubuntu don't copy but do way BETTER!

Comment

Absolutely not, it would be just another Android clone then, Ubuntu Phone needs to go all the way with its vision of converged OS, it may succeed or fail but it is important to do it their way, not recycling Android.

And Ubuntu Phone is doing fine for a "beta" aimed at enthusiasts and developers, 4 months since launch we have three phones available and a growing number of applications, by the end of this year there will be a converged phone too. And there was news of Canonical working with WhatsApp and Dropbox to bring those to Ubuntu Phone. By next year it should be ready for the average user, Ubuntu Phone is doing fine, there is no point in rebasing it off Android at all, it needs to continue on its present path of bringing something new to the mobile market.

Comment

Originally posted by mike4 View Post
        What developers always say about Android, is that it's terrible to develop for. Incompatible among devices and even Android versions. I only had a quick look, but yes the java stuff seems a huge mess. So Ubuntu don't copy but do way BETTER!
        It's only terrible if you ignore and and all guidelines from Google on dealing with different android versions.

Comment

Originally posted by mike4 View Post
          The actual Android framework (API) is really bad. I don't know if that's because it was initially designed with so many of the limitations necessary on an embedded device, and then they just started piling stuff on top to improve functionality, or if it was genuine drooling retards who set up the framework. Either way, if you come from, say, Sun's Java frameworks to Android it's quite a shock to see the dichotomy in design quality.

The actual device fragmentation issues are just sort of part of the ballgame however. I actually think that's a problem that Android handles reasonably well. (Not perfect, but you can tell there is attention on Google's behalf to provide good solutions.)

Comment

Hell no! We need a pure GNU/Linux phone.

Android is repulsive because of the fact that you're using Java to develop for ONE OS! There's also the problem of the whole Android OS stack being messy and bloated (not that Ubuntu is much better... >_>), which makes it tough to develop for (and slow).

Take into account the recent re-opening of the Java API issue by Oracle, and the future of Android is already on the fringe. : /

Comment

I'd like to see a Linux based mobile OS that can be installed on any smartphone regardless brand or model..

Comment

I think it would be ok ? if they invest much time in it and actualy do it more the other way around: Bring Ubuntu to android:
                "Readd" the GNU/Linux functionality to Android but keep compatibility with Android. This would be cool ? but hell a lot of work.

Comment

Canonical's foray into the mobile segment is a doomed effort altogether. They are simply too late. The most important feature a smartphone can offer to the user is the plethora of apps that run on it. How is Canonical tackling this? By offering developers assistance with porting their existing apps to Ubuntu. Except there's no reason for developers to do that sort of thing because the Ubuntu Phone doesn't have users in the first place. So here's the million dollar question: if you're not an Ubuntu fanboy who would gladly suffer just to run his favorite OS, why would you buy an Ubuntu Phone?

Comment

Originally posted by eugene2k View Post
                    Canonical's foray into the mobile segment is a doomed effort altogether. They are simply too late. The most important feature a smartphone can offer to the user is the plethora of apps that run on it. How is Canonical tackling this? By offering developers assistance with porting their existing apps to Ubuntu. Except there's no reason for developers to do that sort of thing because the Ubuntu Phone doesn't have users in the first place. So here's the million dollar question: if you're not an Ubuntu fanboy who would gladly suffer just to run his favorite OS, why would you buy an Ubuntu Phone?
                    I would substitute "Ubuntu fanboy" with free software advocate or Ubuntu fanboy which also has enough money to buy an additionaly phone or does not use any of Android/iOS-exclusive apps.
                    I'm not an Ubuntu fanboy but if I had 200-300$ more than I need I would definitely get one although I also assume it won't hit.

Comment

Working...
                    X