Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russia Picks ReactOS As Second OS For Software Freedom

Phoronix: Russia Picks ReactOS As Second OS For Software Freedom

Russia has named various open-source mobile, desktop, and server operating systems to substitute for vendor lock-in / proprietary software currently in use. Interestingly, besides Linux dominating the list, Russia has been evaluating ReactOS -- the project that's long been seeking to be an open-source implementation of Windows...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

ReactOS? I can't get it to work worth a damn in a VM (Even from their own VM images)....

Comment

What's so odd about a cloud-only office suite? You do want to keep tabs on what the citizens are thinking, right?

Comment

Originally posted by pipe13 View Post
        What's so odd about a cloud-only office suite? You do want to keep tabs on what the citizens are thinking, right?
        Actually it's open source now and licensed under AGPLv3. The oddest thing about fact that Russian government chosen it as office software is fact that unlike ReactOS and previously announced crap it's actually exist, work and being profitable.

And of course company that own it doesn't registered in Russia, but EU.

Comment

Happy for this news I hope that Linux systems spread themselves and KDE is today an important and reliable way to use Linux system. Kubuntu is really satisfing me.

Comment

So they decided on an OS that will need closed source drivers and implements closed source behavior? Mind you the NSA managed to insert their flaws into open source standards.

Comment

Originally posted by toyotabedzrock View Post
              So they decided on an OS that will need closed source drivers and implements closed source behavior? Mind you the NSA managed to insert their flaws into open source standards.
              Yeah, ReactOS is shit and always has been, including its very idea.

Since getting rid of window$ and switching to an open source OS (Linux) are both a must, there's really only one sound option which is to switch to Linux while the government institutions that need window$ should work on a version of window$ compiled from source by the Russian government (I heard Microsoft hands out the source code to the defense ministries of many countries as "proof" that they don't ship with spying stuff).

Comment

to making ReactOS what it is now: The best open source Windows alternative up to date.

whoa I dont even

Comment

Originally posted by magika View Post
                  whoa I dont even[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
                  But it is. Linux is not an alternative to Windows. It is an alternative OS, yes, but it can't run Windows apps (let's ignore WINE here), nor is it compatible with it's drivers, etc etc.
                  Thus, it is not a "Windows" alternative.

As for ReactOS, I haven't been keeping tabs, but iirc, last year they had a talk I watched which explained that they're code is close enough to Windows that they can drop in many Windows OS-level tools and they run just fine. Yeah, the audio/networking stuff is still broke as fuck, but I mean... Linux isn't much better on the audio front (neither ALSA nor PulseAudio do what they should, so fanboys of both need to back the hell up and take a long hard look at the facts).

Also, this is great for people who reeeeeally need Windows for something, but (A) don't want to pay MS, and (B) don't trust MS. I don't get the ROS hate.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
                    But it is. Linux is not an alternative to Windows. It is an alternative OS, yes, but it can't run Windows apps (let's ignore WINE here), nor is it compatible with it's drivers, etc etc.
                    Thus, it is not a "Windows" alternative.

As for ReactOS, I haven't been keeping tabs, but iirc, last year they had a talk I watched which explained that they're code is close enough to Windows that they can drop in many Windows OS-level tools and they run just fine. Yeah, the audio/networking stuff is still broke as fuck, but I mean... Linux isn't much better on the audio front (neither ALSA nor PulseAudio do what they should, so fanboys of both need to back the hell up and take a long hard look at the facts).

Also, this is great for people who reeeeeally need Windows for something, but (A) don't want to pay MS, and (B) don't trust MS. I don't get the ROS hate.

audio broke? it's working well for me in all laptops i have, but ok

Comment

Working...
                    X