Systemd 221 Fixes Bugs, Wants Distributions To Start Shipping KDBUS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Systemd 221 Fixes Bugs, Wants Distributions To Start Shipping KDBUS

Phoronix: Systemd 221 Fixes Bugs, Wants Distributions To Start Shipping KDBUS

One month after the huge systemd 220 update, systemd 221 is out and primarily geared for fixing bugs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It would be good to mention that although kdbus is always compiled into SysD, it would still be disabled if the kernel doesn't support it. There's no knife on the throats of upstream devs...

Comment

kdbus support is no longer compile-time optional. It is now always built-in. However, it can still be disabled at runtime using the kdbus=0 kernel command line setting, and that setting may be changed to default to off, by specifying --disable-kdbus at build-time.
      Soooo, it is compile-time optional? *confused*

Anyway, depending on a "not mainlined" Kernel feature is really dumb.
      Last edited by -MacNuke-; 19 June 2015, 12:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by -MacNuke- View Post
        Soooo, it is compile-time optional? *confused*
        Whether kdbus will be used by default can be decided at compile-time. But support for it is always compiled in, whether you intend to use it or not.

Comment

That is sun tsu's art of war. I'm pretty sure LP just drew the front lines.

Comment

If they DON'T want to see kdbus ever mainlined this is the right way. Congratulations.
            ## VGA ##
            AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
            Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

What is exactly KDBUS? What is its function!?

Comment

Exactly this kind of behaviour is why some people dislike systemd. More or less politely forcing people to the one solution systemd developers like is very rude. Especially since it has not even included in mainline kernels yet.

Seriously, systemd developers continue their hybris mentality. "I told you so" seems very appropriate right now. I really hope people finally stand up and stop this big error. We should start over completely with the implementation and this time do it properly (keep individual modules that do not depend on each other).

Comment

How about everyone whining read, reflect and then re-read. You lost. Move on.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
                    What is exactly KDBUS? What is its function!?
                    It's supposed to be a message passing system. So that you don't need to develop specific interfaces for different components to talk to each other. The problem is that it's gigantic and does waaaaaay more than that and the message passing sucks ass.

The biggest legitimate complaint I've read from developers is that the code style sucks. It's really hard to understand the code.

Comment

Working...
                    X