Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dota 2 Reborn Begins Rolling Out For Steam Linux Gamers

Phoronix: Dota 2 Reborn Begins Rolling Out For Steam Linux Gamers

Last week the beta of the Dota 2 Reborn that's powered by Valve's Source 2 Engine began rolling out but was initially limited to Windows. The Dota 2 Reborn for Linux has now started rolling out today for those wanting to experience this big update to Dota 2 and Valve's underlying game engine...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Download the Beta DLC and and start the game by right clicking on Dota2, then Play Dota 2 - Reborn Beta.

The client is 64-bit only right now and official bug reports for Linux go here: https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Dota-2-Reborn/issues

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
      The client is 64-bit only right now
      Right now or is it always going to be? Most software developers and OS distributions are completely phasing out 32 bit support and no sane person would really blame Valve for never making a 32 bit client.

Comment

Originally posted by kenjitamura View Post
        Right now or is it always going to be? Most software developers and OS distributions are completely phasing out 32 bit support and no sane person would really blame Valve for never making a 32 bit client.
        They make it for Windows 32bit/DX9 and it actually defaults to it instead of 64bit/DX11

But i agree it should be 64bit only, anyway gallium nine guys will still yielding how game is faster with Windows 32bit/DX9 executable
        Last edited by dungeon; 23 June 2015, 12:03 AM.

Comment

Atm when launched nothing happens. I looked in "dota 2 beta/game/bin/" for the "dota2" executable, as with windows and it seems to be a shared library. Weird.

Comment

Originally posted by RamblingMadMan View Post
            Atm when launched nothing happens. I looked in "dota 2 beta/game/bin/" for the "dota2" executable, as with windows and it seems to be a shared library. Weird.
            This is Beta software, read current bugs on bugzilla or fill yours:

Tracker for issues specific to Linux and Mac in the Reborn client. If you have a general issue or non-system-specific feature request please go to dev.dota2.com - Issues · ValveSoftware/Dota-2

Might be this:

First, there's no "Play reborn" button on the source 1 client. If I try to launch it directly from Steam, I get a error message saying it didn't find the executable. Looking at the game/ directory ...

Comment

yay

(chars)

Comment

I must say, the GL renderer on Linux is a *lot* smoother than it is on Windows. I'd almost say it's better than the DX renderer at staying a consistent 60 FPS although I can't test it.
                Compared to Source 1, this isn't even in the same league. The renderer is smooth, the input is immediate, the screen scroll doesn't hitch at all, there's no intermittent waiting in-between UI screens in the main menu.

Well done. It brings a tear to my eye.

Comment

This is native openGL with no wrappers.
                  I also look forward to the Vulkan version later in the year. Think this will be the first Vulkan game.

On the windows directX community some users are reporting massive performance gains from source 2, while some others are reporting performance problems. Well it's a beta and I think we should expect performance optimizations to happen quite aggresively within the next couple of months...

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

This is Beta software, read current bugs on bugzilla or fill yours:

Tracker for issues specific to Linux and Mac in the Reborn client. If you have a general issue or non-system-specific feature request please go to dev.dota2.com - Issues · ValveSoftware/Dota-2

Might be this:

https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Dota-2-Reborn/issues/3
                    Nah, it wasn't that. It was the same silly issue of steam packaging old libs incompatible with my updated graphics drivers. Now the game loads and I can get into a game, but simply no 3D items are rendered. I'll do an apitrace and submit a bug or contribute to one.

Comment

Working...
                    X