Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Work On Wayland's "Libweston" Is Being Revived

Phoronix: Work On Wayland's "Libweston" Is Being Revived

Last year work started on making libweston and now that work is being picked back up on making the Weston code-base useful to other Wayland compositors...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Could someone explain what impact libweston will have to the already written compositors (E has one KDE has one Gnome also etc)? Will they have to use it in order to be compliant or it doesn't matter at all.

Comment

It shouldn't matter, they are more than happy to use libweston if they want to, but if it doesn't offer them anything attractive then so be it. What -could- happen is all of the compositors agree to write against and all build against libwayland so that they can share as much code as possible, but that is totally up to them.
      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
        Could someone explain what impact libweston will have to the already written compositors (E has one KDE has one Gnome also etc)? Will they have to use it in order to be compliant or it doesn't matter at all.

I agree, many arguments don't explain well what kind of utility the linux feature offer nor what features it provides.

Comment

Libweston is for giving a hand to all those niche or lightweight DE developers, to let them ride on the maintained Weston core without forking or reinventing it all. Especially as Weston's own goals do not include any friendly desktop usage. It's to let Weston concentrate on the core technologies and doing that well, while others can put the user-friendly UIs on top as they wish and build their own DE using any toolkits they want.

Or, this is the long-term goal. This patch series is only the beginning of that work.

Comment

I can see this being very helpful for MATE. Their GTK3 version of MATE 1.10 is already very good. Now with the applications ported to a toolkit which can use Wayland natively they need to implement a Wayland compositor. Libweston should be perfect for that.
            I hope this gets into 1.9.0.

Comment

This would be good. Allowing small projects to still thrive.

Comment

Working...
              X