Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another System For Tracking The Linux Kernel's Performance

Phoronix: Another System For Tracking The Linux Kernel's Performance

Yet another system has been added to our continuously growing basement server farm that tracks the performance of various upstream open-source projects on a daily basis. Meet system number 58!..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Just how exactly is this newsworthy? This is the kind of thing people would put on their personal blog, you're not a blogger but a journalist here right? Why don't you just make a forum thread for all your server farm postings?

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
      Just how exactly is this newsworthy? This is the kind of thing people would put on their personal blog, you're not a blogger but a journalist here right? Why don't you just make a forum thread for all your server farm postings?
      For people curious if they're looking to build an old Sandy Bridge system, just interested in the server farm, etc.

I never call myself a "journalist"
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

For people curious if they're looking to build an old Sandy Bridge system, just interested in the server farm, etc.

I never call myself a "journalist"
        I think most people are relatively interested in the benchmarks, but very few if any people have any desire to be kept up to date on the computer clusters you're building in your basement for benchmarking on them. Most people after all do come here for Linux and Open Source related news, not for what's happening in you basement.

I'm not saying these posts don't have a place somewhere, but they're not the news people come to your site to see, they're blog post material. If people want to be kept up to date on these things they will just go to one of your benchmarking sites like the one you linked to in your post. You could even just make a new subsection of the site and call it blog, and post things like this or things you just want to share with everyone that might not really be on topic, like your new smartphone and opinions on it or your new crocs and how you love the air holes in it.

Benchmarks are always fun to see, but we don't need to know every time you have new hardware for benchmarking on unless you're mentioning it as you're showing us a benchmark of it compared to comparable hardware.

I mean it's your site so I guess you can do what you want, but think for a second about what it is that you want, do you want Phoronix to be seen as a news outlet, or as Michael's blog?

And do you really think it likely that a lot of people would be looking to build a new system on 2011 hardware in the latter half of 2015 when we have HBM and 14nm 3D processors just around the corner, and Photonics based Molecular computers around the next corner? Can you even buy sandy bridge hardware anymore? Is it even still being manufactured? You just wanted to share that you have a new system in your server farm, I doubt there really was such a reason as "for people who are looking to build an outdated system", these are just excuses to write something you wanted to write. And I don't blame you at all, it's human nature.

I might be being a bit harsh with you, but I think you just really need to think a little bit about this, is this direction you want Phoronix to go of being 45% linux news and 45% your blog and 10% someone elses blog?

Comment

I , for one, am very interested on that.
          I like the blog kind of approach in keeping his website.
          I like the passion that you can read in what he's doing.
          I never considered Phoronix as a journalist place, rather than a very evolved blog of a guy dealing with linux/OSS graphics and benchmarks.
          I have an Ivy bridge in my notebook and I'm very fond of the results that could be highlighted by this new system.

I am also a paying subscriber to the site, cause Phoronix is one of my best distractions (when I'm not working or living my real-world life), and I want to keep adblock on.

Comment

Working...
          X