AMD Radeon R9 Fury X Launches Today, Initial Results A Bit Of A Let Down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Radeon R9 Fury X Launches Today, Initial Results A Bit Of A Let Down

Phoronix: AMD Radeon R9 Fury X Launches Today, Initial Results A Bit Of A Let Down

After being announced earlier this month and the Radeon Rx 300 series launching last week, the $649+ R9 Fury X water-cooled graphics card launches today. With the launch comes a whole bunch of (Windows) reviews too...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

http://www.phoronix.com/forums/forum...924#post806924

I just wanted to paste this in here so everyone could see it. There are at least 2 people I know of on the internet that have posted remarks stating that driver has much better opengl performance.
    Last edited by duby229; 24 June 2015, 11:49 AM.

Comment

I think is better to wait for the air cooled one. Will be a cheaper way to discover that Catalyst in Linux sux and that there is no open source support in the launch.

If I was you Michael, I wait till Bridgman says the open source support is available. What is the point in buy it with your own money if you know it will have a disappointing performance in Catalyst? If some crazy bastard buy it and post interesting results in PTS, then you buy it. Otherwise, just wait.

Comment

Not sure Michael which reviews you read it , what i readed is mostly the similar or better then 980Ti on referent clocked cards... only reviews where i found it better is if title is known nvidia optimized or compared with some factory or manually overclocked 980Ti models, like some Evga 980Ti so called SuperClocked which per what authors say has increased perfromance by 20% .
        Last edited by dungeon; 24 June 2015, 09:53 AM.

Comment

I feel sorry for AMD and their new water cooled Frying Pan X, it looks pathetic (AMD have been on a constant downhill since the HD5000-series) but hopefully Nvidia will get it right with their upcoming 16nm Pascal architecture with HBMv2 next year!
          Last edited by Rakl?dder; 24 June 2015, 09:53 AM.

Comment

The output configuration has been subject to much criticism. This card is hardly suitable for the enthusiast's 4K living room.
            Quoting the HardOCP review:
            Originally posted by HardOCP
            Limited VRAM for a flagship $649 video card, sub-par gaming performance for the price, and limited display support options with no HDMI 2.0 and no DVI port. To be honest, we aren't entirely sure who the AMD Radeon R9 Fury X is really built for? The AMD Radeon Fury X is a confusing product, like a technology demo not fully realized, a showcase for HBM only but with no real substance. The AMD Radeon Fury X looks to be a great marketing showcase, but its prowess starts waning when you consider its value to gamers and hardware enthusiasts.
            These words are a bit harsh, but except for the VRAM comment mostly on point. HDMI 2.0 spec was released in September 2013, when did AMD realize that enthusiasts buy 4K TVs? AMD had a better output configuration with the 6990, 7990 and 295X2 than with the Fury. No Fury card currently includes a DP 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 adapter in the retail box and people are going to have to hunt them down from China at least for a couple more months.

Performance seems not an improvement over similarly priced NVidia cards at 1440p and marginally better at 4K. If you overclock both a 980Ti and a Fury X, the NVidia card will be ahead, despite AMD's claims that the Fury X would overclock very well. Reason for this is apparently the lack of voltage control.

The whole debacle shows that AMD badly needs to get in touch with their user base more. Also they need to significantly improve their agility. Else they will only sell to people who want open source Linux drivers, or like AMD as a company.

Comment

The overclock potential is ~5% (meh), apparently there is pump noise, however to be fair my water pumps on my CPU had a break in time where they were noisy too. The problem the sapphire card I wanted has a bit of a waiting list =(. Maybe by mid July when more stock is in the cards will come down to $600us. It competes closely graphical wise with Titan TI with offering a monstrous amount more of compute.

One real negativity though, apparently the pixel fill rate on these card are low for some reason (lower than 290x even), not sure what's up with that.

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
                The output configuration has been subject to much criticism. This card is hardly suitable for the enthusiast's 4K living room.
                Quoting the HardOCP review:

These words are a bit harsh, but except for the VRAM comment mostly on point. HDMI 2.0 spec was released in September 2013, when did AMD realize that enthusiasts buy 4K TVs? AMD had a better output configuration with the 6990, 7990 and 295X2 than with the Fury. No Fury card currently includes a DP 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 adapter in the retail box and people are going to have to hunt them down from China at least for a couple more months.

Performance seems not an improvement over similarly priced NVidia cards at 1440p and marginally better at 4K. If you overclock both a 980Ti and a Fury X, the NVidia card will be ahead, despite AMD's claims that the Fury X would overclock very well. Reason for this is apparently the lack of voltage control.

The whole debacle shows that AMD badly needs to get in touch with their user base more. Also they need to significantly improve their agility. Else they will only sell to people who want open source Linux drivers, or like AMD as a company.
                Yeah I mean the Titan was what 1k? Did people complain about price for performance than? It was laughable but Nvidia fans needed the epeen.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
                  I think is better to wait for the air cooled one. Will be a cheaper way to discover that Catalyst in Linux sux and that there is no open source support in the launch.

If I was you Michael, I wait till Bridgman says the open source support is available. What is the point in buy it with your own money if you know it will have a disappointing performance in Catalyst? If some crazy bastard buy it and post interesting results in PTS, then you buy it. Otherwise, just wait.
                  I concur. Michael, you shouldn't have to go through the same thing you went through with the R9 285. By the time the open source drivers are working for this, the price might drop a little anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    I concur. Michael, you shouldn't have to go through the same thing you went through with the R9 285. By the time the open source drivers are working for this, the price might drop a little anyway.
                    Still deciding... Haven't seen any in stock yet on Amazon or NewEgg, so will decide by the time I see any in-stock.
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X