Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dota 2 Reborn Update Has Fixes For Open-Source AMD

Phoronix: Dota 2 Reborn Update Has Fixes For Open-Source AMD

Just days after pushing out Dota 2 Reborn for Linux gamers, Valve has released a massive update to this Source Engine 2 game and it includes some driver/rendering fixes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Basically what happened was they were using functionality of an extension without checking for its existence first: https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Dot...ment-114351449

Comment

The UI/HUD was completely unusable before with radeon. Now it kinda works. On mesa git the UI is flickering a lot and only shows on the left side of the screen. I'll make a video, apitrace and bug report later today...

Comment

looks like this fixed the insanely high cpu usage

Comment

Good to see game devs are recognizing the free driver stack. Very nice.
          Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

It does make sense that they take into account the open source drivers. I don't know if there are any official numbers, but out of curiosity I asked the G+ Linux community which AMD GPU driver they are using, the result after more than 450 votes: Nearly 2/3 are using the open source drivers:
            Note:  This blog post outlines upcoming changes to Google Currents for Workspace users. For information on the previous deprecation of Googl...

Comment

Originally posted by soulsource View Post
              It does make sense that they take into account the open source drivers. I don't know if there are any official numbers, but out of curiosity I asked the G+ Linux community which AMD GPU driver they are using, the result after more than 450 votes: Nearly 2/3 are using the open source drivers:
              https://plus.google.com/+AndreasGrois/posts/53xXhbxfdRY
              35% must be Tonga users

Not sure how much that really matters, as the future is fusion
              Last edited by dungeon; 25 June 2015, 05:23 AM.

Comment

Not really well playable: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7j0zW_rZjlM

Comment

Everything works good here, radeonsi amd 7870... WOW is all i got to say loading times in the seconds like literally 10 at most for all of it just amazing, ~100FPS steady 60 when vsynced i use high models but low effects like no shadows... but man this is perfect

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

35% must be Tonga users

Not sure how much that really matters, as the future is fusion
                    I have HD 5850 and still use Catalyst. Why? Because Open Source Radeon Driver gives me much worst performance in games, and many of my games also not working yet on MESA.
                    Also on Open Source I have many graphics problem like textures corruption / missing textures, screen freeze, sometimes also all system freeze. In new MESA, cooling in my GPU have full RPM and for few sec. all it stops! Also it gives me a very high temperatures!

So I still use Catalyst and for now not change to MESA but I trying test it with all new release.

BTW. In Dota 2 Reborn still is big bug!
                    All AMD Phenom II / AThlon II users can't start any match, because game make crash (illegal instruction). Devs need compile Dota2 Reborn without SSSE3 but for now we still waiting for fix it, still no fix yet.

Comment

Working...
                    X