Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kubuntu 15.10 Could Be The End Of The Road

Phoronix: Kubuntu 15.10 Could Be The End Of The Road

While tensions appeared eased yesterday between the Ubuntu and Kubuntu camps with Jonathan Riddell stepping down from his leadership roles, that may not be the end of the story...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Guess I'll have to switch to Debian? Ugh, but so many things work with Ubuntu and/or the PPA system and I'd hate to leave that behind.

Comment

Kubuntu is the real revelation of linux distro and by wayland implementation also the most improved in terms of graphical engine and hardware acceleration.

Comment

Tensions didn't ease yesterday, they got papered over by a buzzwordy fluffpiece smokescreen, while actually things are far from resolved. A PR stunt basically.

Comment

Alternatives to Kubuntu!?

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
            Alternatives to Kubuntu!?
            Just go openSUSE - 13.2 if you are using proprietary drivers; if you want opensource drivers go openSUSE Tumbleweed (the most stable rolling release)

If you need some introduction on the repository system or any other help just ask me! I am happy here since 10 years!

Comment

Perhaps KDE will make its own distro by Jonhatan Riddle activity?

Comment

I doubt that Kubuntu will stop. People love Ubuntu flavors and many are reluctant to try out other solutions because on Ubuntu based distributions stuff just works, like someone mentioned there are PPAs, there are precompiled packages, life with Ubuntu flavors is easy. See how Ubuntu MATE achieved a lot of success very quickly and became an official flavor, even though there is Mint (a Ubuntu based distribution) with MATE, Ubuntu MATE still managed to attract a lot of people, what is proven by that? That people love Ubuntu and Ubuntu flavors, and yes Ubuntu branding too, if Kubuntu people abandon Ubuntu base for their OS and switch to something else, therefore losing all the advantages of Ubuntu base, they will likely regret it because most current users of Kubuntu will either switch to another KDE based Ubuntu derivative like Mint KDE or someone else will take over and restart Kubuntu project, maybe under a different name or the same name if they can. KDE is too important to be left unattended in Ubuntu family so someone will restart a KDE based Ubuntu if necessary. Kubuntu will survive one way or the other.

Comment

Now I don't have a distro to recommend to people.

Comment

When I was in University, I had plenty of time so I could installed and tinker with opensuse, fedora or whatever there is. But now that I am working as professional, Ubuntu base is less time consuming, everything just works. Be that steam games or development systems or property softwares like TeamViewer. Or even getting some latest softwares updates through ppa. If Kubuntu disappears, it will be very bad for people like me. Hope they will keep the Ubuntu base in future like Mint.

Comment

Working...
                    X