Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine 1.7.46: Still Hacking On DirectWrite & 64-bit ARM

Phoronix: Wine 1.7.46: Still Hacking On DirectWrite & 64-bit ARM

Wine 1.7.46 is out bright and early this morning...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What I don't understand, DX11 has been around for quite some time now and the WINE team has discussed DX11 for a long time. We are on the verge of DX12 so I'm wondering why they just don't target that? Seems to be a faster API from what Microsoft is touting. Yes I understand its not released yet but we seem to get "a lot of talk" and no action in a lot of cases. Although, the way Steam is going, maybe this will be a dead horse to be discussing anyway. I also understand that they need to reverse engineer this stuff to and it takes time, I just don't understand all the show and tell but never do scenario. I'm starting to think Linux just needs to go its own way and maybe come up with something, even OpenGL or Vulcan based, that blows any DX version away and shows that it can stand on its own without needing to "copycat" other OSes. Linux rocks, the community is solid as a whole, I believe this can be done. I am no programmer but I have the belief.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkstar0129 View Post
      I also understand that they need to reverse engineer this stuff to and it takes time, I just don't understand all the show and tell but never do scenario.
      Very few people are working on it. This is usually the downside of open source projects, save a few one. If you have the skills and time, you are always welcome to join groups and speed things up a bit.

Comment

At this point Linux gaming is getting good enough that we probably don't really need Wine to support DX11. Though DX10 support is another thing, since a lot of older games might still need it. But with Codeweavers behind DX11 work, I don't think we'll ever see it in Wine without patchwork. I have more hope in Gallium-Nine to supprt DX11 than Codeweavers.

Comment

This wine version have some changes but related with ms vc++ libraries, at simple seek dont have mayor changes

Maybe more later upload other test

Comment

Originally posted by pinguinpc View Post
            This wine version have some changes but related with ms vc++ libraries, at simple seek dont have mayor changes

Maybe more later upload other test

Hey pinguinpc, what application do you use for video capture and for displaying the FPS counter?
            All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

I just tried to compile it on archlinux and it works again without failing to link libunwind. Yay.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post

Hey pinguinpc, what application do you use for video capture and for displaying the FPS counter?
                In my case use ffmpeg 2.6.1 with nvenc* support**

*Support until 180fps at 1080p

**For this need have installed cuda sdk (6.5 in my case), nvenc sdk with two files cuda.h and nvEncodeAPI.h in usr/include folder and any nvidia driver after 346 series

For fps counter use steam in game fps counter and for cpu use gkrell

Comment

What Linux and wine need is a proper DirectX 5 implementation. DirectX 9/10/11/12 games are getting natively ported to Linux, it's the older titles that will never get ported which don't run in wine that matter.

Comment

Originally posted by DMJC View Post
                    What Linux and wine need is a proper DirectX 5 implementation. DirectX 9/10/11/12 games are getting natively ported to Linux, it's the older titles that will never get ported which don't run in wine that matter.
                    Dosbox

Comment

Working...
                    X