DragonFlyBSD 4.2 Released: Brings Improved Graphics & New Compiler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DragonFlyBSD 4.2 Released: Brings Improved Graphics & New Compiler

Phoronix: DragonFlyBSD 4.2 Released: Brings Improved Graphics & New Compiler

DragonFlyBSD 4.2 was released this morning as the next major release to this popular BSD operating system. For end-users there are a lot of notable changes with this update...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

DragonFlyBSD is the first major BSD distribution using GCC5 by default with most other BSDs defaulting to LLMV/Clang.
    FreeBSD plus derivates and Bitrig use LLVM/Clang. DragonFly, OpenBSD, NetBSD use GCC.

Comment

http://www.dragonflybsd.org/release42/

From the point of view of the graphics subsystem, the DragonFly kernel can thus be considered a BSD-licensed implementation of Linux.
      I like this!

Comment

It's the same approach like NetBSD goes. Copy the DRM-Subsystem and add a OS-wrapper to minimize the changes to the original code.

Comment

Just wondering if NetBSD can take advantage of GCC 5 offloading capabilities as I saw NVPTX headers in some BSD trees.

Comment

Originally posted by beast View Post
            It's the same approach like NetBSD goes. Copy the DRM-Subsystem and add a OS-wrapper to minimize the changes to the original code.
            all 4 BSDs have been working in that particular direction

Comment

FreeBSD wants to go this way in the future, currently their adapted the Linux Code in their style. I'm not sure for OpenBSD it looks like they have it own code quality standards to integrate third party code more or less the same as FreeBSD.

Comment

Working...
              X