Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Gave Up Waiting On The Water-Cooled Radeon R9 Fury X

Phoronix: I Gave Up Waiting On The Water-Cooled Radeon R9 Fury X

One month after the Radeon R9 Fury X launched at $649 USD with an integrated water-cooling solution, the graphics card remains in short supply and it's not clear when exactly this graphics card will better saturate retail channels. At this point, I've shifted my focused to the air-cooled AMD Radeon R9 Fury graphics card that will ship in two weeks and be air-cooled while costing $100 less...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Did you maybe mean a week after it launched, not a month ? EDIT - already fixed, ignore

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...-Fury-X-Launch
    Last edited by bridgman; 30 June 2015, 10:43 PM.
    Test signature

Comment

Well AMD must be really short on money that they expect hardware review sites to buy the hardware. NVIDIA seems to be smarter...

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
        Did you maybe mean a week after it launched, not a month ?

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...-Fury-X-Launch
        Yes, it was corrected a minute or so after publishing the article, but evidently just missed the auto-querying by the forums.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

You must be Furious! *crickets chirping*.

But in all seriousness, unless you intend to use the GPU on a regular basis, I don't think you need the liquid cooled version anyway. Getting it right now won't do you a lot of good anyway since only Catalyst will get you any results. The liquid cooled Fury is more ideal for people who spend an entire day gaming or rendering something on a regular basis. Even if you run tests on this all day, there is still some downtime, and I'm assuming whatever case you put it in will have sufficient ventilation.

Comment

Does anyone know why this card is unavailable ?

Is it a limited edition to buzz the internet and say "hey! we did the most powerful graphic card during 1 month!"
            Has AMD shipped it too fast and they have production problems?
            Is it really selling that much?

This is very strange...

Anyway it will be supported on Linux when NVidia will release Pascal, so Michael, you should not be frustrated

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
              Well AMD must be really short on money that they expect hardware review sites to buy the hardware. NVIDIA seems to be smarter...
              They're not short on money (well, they are, but not to the point of not being able to supply reviewers with samples). It's just that Linux has never been their strong point, so it only makes sense they're not keen on seeing their new baby trampled (again) by Nvidia.
              Even if the above weren't true, there could still be difficulties in making the HBM part.

Comment

I'm an AMD fanboy, but for anybody looking to buy a card in that price bracket - just get a 980 ti. Especially on Linux.

Comment

In Windows reviews i only see Fury X is clear faster in AMD optimized titles, while 980Ti is faster in nVidia optimized titles. Beside i also see some trend that Fury X is also always faster in no CPU bound titles, while nVidia is faster in CPU bounded titles, etc...

That said at least i think price is right so i guess people will choose by something else... like 980Ti to anyone who wants OpenCL 2.0 and HEVC decode

Comment

HEVC is only partially accellerated with a 980 Ti. That hybrid mode should work for Windows like it does for Intel Broadwell, but currently only full hardware decoders are supported via VDPAU (right now only GTX 960). I did not see any AMD statement about HEVC support for Linux.

Comment

Working...
                    X