Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Global Shortcuts In KDE Plasma Under Wayland

Phoronix: Global Shortcuts In KDE Plasma Under Wayland

Just on the heels of his last blogpost about four years in porting KDE to Wayland, Martin Gr??lin, the long-time Kwin maintainer, has put out another blog post detailing some of the troubles that he and the KDE crew have encountered in their prepping for Wayland...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Well, it's as much trouble as "I have to use a key to enter my new house, as it has a lock".
    The fact that random unpriviledged daemons cannot intercepts keypresses anymore is one of the many strong advantages of wayland over X11.

Comment

Originally posted by erendorn View Post
      Well, it's as much trouble as "I have to use a key to enter my new house, as it has a lock".
      The fact that random unpriviledged daemons cannot intercepts keypresses anymore is one of the many strong advantages of wayland over X11.

Now the only difficulty is allowing non-random privileged daemons to intercept keypresses.

Comment

what is the state of this porting!?

Comment

Yo Eric, how about writing a short article on Papyros and their bounties? It's a Wayland shell, and there's 1750$ in bounties on Bountysource, anyone into Wayland could squash some bugs and earn in the process. https://www.bountysource.com/teams/papyros

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
            Yo Eric, how about writing a short article on Papyros and their bounties? It's a Wayland shell, and there's 1750$ in bounties on Bountysource, anyone into Wayland could squash some bugs and earn in the process. https://www.bountysource.com/teams/papyros
            Will look into it when I get the chance (busy night today and tomorrow) but it sounds interesting. Thanks for the tip, curaga
            All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
              what is the state of this porting!?
              One of the first links in the article is to martin's blog post from yesterday-- Kwin is mostly ported over, but the rest of the KDE stack is in various stages of ported-ness
              All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post

One of the first links in the article is to martin's blog post from yesterday-- Kwin is mostly ported over, but the rest of the KDE stack is in various stages of ported-ness
                If I were to hazard a guess, I'd say that there will be something you can test out this fall, with distros providing betas of everything next spring but still defaulting to X. Then the full switch will happen next fall.

Martin did say he was planning to start dogfooding Plasma/Wayland before Academy, which is the end of July, and then give a bunch of talks there to app developers about how to make sure everything in KDE gets ported over.

Comment

Working...
                X