Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam Linux Usage Continued Falling In June

Phoronix: Steam Linux Usage Continued Falling In June

With the start of a new month comes Valve's Steam Survey results for hardware/software information of their gaming customers. Sadly, this is yet another month with the Linux usage continuing to erode...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Those numbers are way way below the error margin. Please don't interpret anything from a 0.03 percent-point change.

Comment

I play on Linux, but I didn't get any hardware survey for about two months ago.

Comment

Never gotten one on linux and only ever saw a couple since subscribing to Steam in 2004 . Doesn't help I suppose I've now stopped using Steam though.
        Hi

Comment

Last week I saw the survey... on a Win PC of a friend.
          Never saw it on Linux (3 computers used weekly), I start thinking it is a urban legend.

Anyway the numbers may be accurate, the big "wow Steam on Linux" effect is passed.
          Real player went back to Windows to have the full catalog...

Gogogo Valve, Steam Machines are far too long to come!

Comment

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."

Comment

Combine this with massive increase of Steam overall usage and clearly you can see that Witcher 3/GTA V/and other big list of AAA games heavily contributed to boost of player base.

Comment

Originally posted by Pecisk View Post
                Combine this with massive increase of Steam overall usage and clearly you can see that Witcher 3/GTA V/and other big list of AAA games heavily contributed to boost of player base.

Exactly my point. What are the absolute values ? Giving the "%" is clearly not satisfying as the total amount of players can increase with a higher rate for Windows (and OSX ?) compared to Linux's. I also wonder how Steam survey can detect the distro you are using, I've been surveyed twice and never saw anything in the results regarding the fact that I'm using Fedora.

Comment

Windows goes down by -0.02%, OSX goes down by -0.01% and Linux goes down by -0.01%

So dunno how differently to interpret those other then - Steam usage genereally goes down this month
                  Last edited by dungeon; 02 July 2015, 09:02 AM.

Comment

Fluctuations that small fall well within the error margin. I've been using Steam on Linux since the very beginning when it was in beta and I've gotten the survey all of twice in that entire time (none this year), so it's very random who gets surveyed. It also doesn't help that we haven't gotten a high profile title in a good long time while there have been several high profile Windows releases fairly recently (even if one of them was a complete train wreck).

Comment

Working...
                    X