Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu MATE Announces A Partnership With A PC Hardware Vendor

Phoronix: Ubuntu MATE Announces A Partnership With A PC Hardware Vendor

Ubuntu MATE, the spin of Ubuntu that ships with the popular fork of the GNOME 2 desktop environment, has announced a hardware partnership in shipping their distribution pre-loaded on a "free software friendly and 100% blobless Linux driver" PC...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I think their initiatives are great. More linux vendors should seek hardware deals. But sadly still pricing is not that competitive against other market offerings, which will limit the adoption and mindshare, but hopefully that will get better.

Comment

Dear madjr,

My name is Luis Da Costa and I'm the CEO of LibreTrend

I understand the problem about the price, and indeed compared to the competition our price is quite high for the specs it has, and even the Free Shipping worldwide won't help us more. We are working on a new huge project which normally will launch in 2016, and until then we may be able to low the price of the LibreBox itself, but it will be difficult.

I've taken into account all the comments and messages which I've received since the publication of the original post from the Ubuntu MATE team and I think that in the next days we will be able to make an offer to compensate the price

Best Regards,
      Luis Da Costa

Comment

In terms of performance I think the Celeron model they've selected is sufficient. I wouldn't run a server farm off of it, but 8GB of DDR3 RAM plus that chip should be fine for many day to day tasks. Up until earlier this year, my wife's computer was a nine (!) year old dual core AMD X2 4200+ with 4GB of DDR2, and running off a low end SSD it was fine for browsing the web, old games, printing, simple photo editing, etc...

So I wouldn't mind using one. But we've run into the same problem that's been kneecapping Linux (GNU/Linux) for home users for years. It won't take off for normal people until it's commonly available pre-installed. But Linux PC vendors have a hell of a time getting started because most Linux early adopters are skilled enough to install it on their own from commodity hardware.

Comment

100% bobless sounds very attractive

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
            100% bobless sounds very attractive
            Indeed.
            I don't want to destroy hopes but I just destroyed mine:

"The LibreBox uses a Standard BIOS (without UEFI)"

From their store page. I was just going to ask if it also runs Libreboot but, oh, well. So just another standard box that runs a Trisqel style Linux?
            (Though at least it's a BIOS and not this messed up UEFI)
            Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post

Indeed.
              I don't want to destroy hopes but I just destroyed mine:

"The LibreBox uses a Standard BIOS (without UEFI)"

From their store page. I was just going to ask if it also runs Libreboot but, oh, well. So just another standard box that runs a Trisqel style Linux?
              (Though at least it's a BIOS and not this messed up UEFI)
              We would like to make it possible on the LibreBox, but for now it's almost impossible, we don't have the man and money resources to have something built as the LibreBox was, do all the software development and also create a Free BIOS. In fact 99% of the work has been made by myself alone. And yes I know that this isn't an excuse, but I can promise you that we are working hard to make it happen, until then we need to focus on more short-time-realistic ideias, otherwise we would be selling old hardware just because it's free (and this isn't even an idea we have totally put aside ..)

Comment

Working...
              X