Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefox 39.0 Brings New Features, HTML5 Changes

Phoronix: Firefox 39.0 Brings New Features, HTML5 Changes

Firefox 39.0 is available this morning before the 4th of July weekend holiday in the US...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by ihatemichael
    Do you really have to say it's going to be holidays in the US?

Nobody gives a fucking shit about this outside the US.
    I do, and I'm outside US.

You're wrong.

Cheers,
    Lubo

Comment

Good progress. In terms of interesting changes (new api support and developer improvements) I think this is the biggest release for a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by Pajn View Post
        Good progress. In terms of interesting changes (new api support and developer improvements) I think this is the biggest release for a long time.
        firefox 40 beta 1 has removed the window that has all your settings on, now that opens in a new tab. That is a big change coming up. Unfortunately the extensions don't show which have been updated or their version number in their name, you have to click "more" each time which is annoying.

Last edited by hajj_3; 03 July 2015, 11:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by hajj_3 View Post
          That is a big change coming up.
          I would disagree, it just looks a tad better in an area you accesses very seldom. Eneabling new great APIs (like the fetch API) or improvements in tools I use daily is far more useable.

Comment

hmmm. wasn't this version supposed to enable mse on linux by default?

Comment

Originally posted by hajj_3 View Post
              firefox 40 beta 1 has removed the window that has all your settings on, now that opens in a new tab.
              Eh? It's already like that in 38. Looks a bit different, but it's in a tab and not a window.

Comment

Seems like a very underwhelming release, which isn't good considering how much firefox has to catch up on.

Comment

I'm using Firefox developer 40 and compared with 38, is better. The performance with the 10something multi-thread is better, not in the same level of Chrome, but better than 38. And finally the YouTube performance with VP9 is good enough to play 720p videos in my AMD A4 (17w) Trinity ultrabook. But Chrome can play at 1080p, so more improvements are possible.

Comment

Originally posted by svanheulen

I can't remember the last release that wasn't disappointing.

They need to stop adding bloat (Hello, Pocket...) and finish HTML5 already. I refused to switch to the privacy sieve that is Chrome, but Firefox is turning into a real piece of junk
                    Eh, I've seen some pretty good releases in the past 2 years. I've been using it for a long while myself, but I'll probably be switching away from it pretty soon. If they can adopt PPAPI I might switch back.

But yeah, they do really need to stop adding this stupid misc crap and hurry up with finishing HTML5 and GTK3.

Comment

Working...
                    X