VirtualBox 5.0 RC3 Brings VMM Fixes, Takes Care Of Some KDE DnD Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VirtualBox 5.0 RC3 Brings VMM Fixes, Takes Care Of Some KDE DnD Problems

Phoronix: VirtualBox 5.0 RC3 Brings VMM Fixes, Takes Care Of Some KDE DnD Problems

The third release candidate is available today for the long overdue VirtualBox 5.0...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Those still using VirtualBox... w. t. fak? Somebody here wanna start A FLAMEwar

Comment

Originally posted by Papastika View Post
      Those still using VirtualBox... w. t. fak? Somebody here wanna start A FLAMEwar
      Is there anything else that's as easy to setup? I'm not trolling, I wanna know!

Comment

Would really be nice to hear about the alternatives and their advantages and disadvantages.

Comment

Michael... your journalism is very low quality when writing down sentances like "Those still using VirtualBox".

Please understand this or soon or later you'll really see serious readers go away from this web site.

Comment

I use Vbox and it's pretty darn good I'd say. If Oracle can get VBox on a par with VMWare then they'd have a darn good virtualization product to offer as a decent alternative to VMWare or Hyper-V

Comment

is the best for desktop users no doubt

Comment

Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
                Michael... your journalism is very low quality when writing down sentences like "Those still using VirtualBox".

Please understand this or soon or later you'll really see serious readers go away from this web site.
                I second this.
                Michael, I understand Virtualbox lacks a bit compared to VMware and it is probably better to use KVM with virt-manager, however Virtualbox is so easy to set up and test machines in. I even use it for creating small labs needed for college:
                • 3x Windows Server 2012R2 graphical
                • 2x Windows Server 2012R2 Core
                • 2x Windows 8.1 desktops
                • 2x GNU/Linux machine (Arch)

All running at the same time. Never had a crash. Performance is great (4770HQ, Samsung EVO 840 mSata SSD). Would it be possible to set this up with KVM? Yes. But the graphical performance of Virtualbox beats the pants of that of KVM with either VNC or SPICE every time.

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
                  is the best for desktop users no doubt
                  That might be true however I must say that I am very happy with kvm +libvirt + virtual-machine-manager (which works with virtualbox as well by the way ;-) )

On the server side though... virtualbox is a no go. The network performance is so terrible that it's almost an insult and the reliability of the snapshots is.... well, let's say that I don't dare to use them.

VMWare or KVM are definitely much better options than VirtualBox on the server side ( VMWare price skyrockets if you want to do *ANYTHING* beyond basic vm handling)

Comment

Originally posted by Damnshock View Post

That might be true however I must say that I am very happy with kvm +libvirt + virtual-machine-manager (which works with virtualbox as well by the way ;-) )

On the server side though... virtualbox is a no go. The network performance is so terrible that it's almost an insult and the reliability of the snapshots is.... well, let's say that I don't dare to use them.

VMWare or KVM are definitely much better options than VirtualBox on the server side ( VMWare price skyrockets if you want to do *ANYTHING* beyond basic vm handling)

agree, virtualbox is good if we need to test some new distro or use some light things with windows guest because of 3d support, easy to use, for server is not a option, at least not a good one

Comment

Working...
                    X