Working Around The Intel Core i7 5775C Broadwell Stability Issue On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working Around The Intel Core i7 5775C Broadwell Stability Issue On Linux

Phoronix: Working Around The Intel Core i7 5775C Broadwell Stability Issue On Linux

On Friday I mentioned I was running into stability issues on Linux with the Core i7 5775C, Intel's new socketed, high-end Broadwell processor with Iris 6200 graphics. The issue was quite perplexing, but I seem to have finally figured out a workaround for this problem that seems to be plaguing other early i7-5775C Linux users too...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Thanks for giving up your weekend for this. Looking forward to the numbers, and an explanation as to what's going on. Looking to pick one of these up when they become available in the US. Hoping I don't run into the same issues with my Asus board.

Comment

Definitely a strange anomaly. You shouldn't have to enable something like this, because what if you encounter a motherboard that doesn't support it?

Makes me wonder if maybe you could turn that feature off but increase the CPU voltage by maybe 0.1v. If that happens to work, there's a small possibility the power supply is faulty. That doesn't mean the PSU isn't supplying enough juice, but maybe there's too much "noise". Just speculation though.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        Definitely a strange anomaly. You shouldn't have to enable something like this, because what if you encounter a motherboard that doesn't support it?

Makes me wonder if maybe you could turn that feature off but increase the CPU voltage by maybe 0.1v. If that happens to work, there's a small possibility the power supply is faulty. That doesn't mean the PSU isn't supplying enough juice, but maybe there's too much "noise". Just speculation though.
        Had tried different power supplies. There's also the completely separate Phoronix reader running into this issue though waiting to hear from him in the forums if he enables such feature if it works.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

There have been dynamic power management issues with linux in the past. Could be software on the bios of the motherboard. Either Intel or ASRock didn't do their job properly. I'm guessing it's ASRock. Maybe send them an email so they can release a bios update?

Comment

Very curious to see how the Intel Iris graphics work in this chip.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              I guess that is most likely the case with all the H97-boards, which normally do not support overclocking, and therefor do not need this option. At least I have this problem with my board an msi H97m-g43.

Also thanks to Michael for spending so much time and drinks on this issue.

Comment

In AMD APUs i also disable all that stuff like C'n'Q, APM, Turbo mode,etc. in the BIOS.

Mind you that no matter i OC the APUs and they stay always in the max OC frequency and i had defined a target Core voltage, the core voltage is constantly changing from bellow 1V up to the defined voltage, the end result is that power drain varies a lot according to CPU (and iGPU) load.

As for you need to resort to do that in BIOS, I believe that OEMs are so focused in Skylake that the BIOS quality to support socketed Broadwell gone down the drain.

Maybe in some weeks/months there will be new BIOS updates that fix this....or Intel makes a Kernel patch to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by AJSB View Post
                  Maybe in some weeks/months there will be new BIOS updates that fix this....or Intel makes a Kernel patch to fix it.
                  If they (Intel kernel developers) are aware of it. I hope they got notified of it, but could not find any bug report somewhere.

Comment

I have a an i7-5775c wi asrock z97 pro4 32gb ram ddr3 2133 8x4 unable to complete an install of ubuntu due to the kernel panics, motherboard has the latest bios, which parameter do you suggest to change and how in order to have a system stable?

Comment

Working...
                    X