Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off-Main-Thread Compositing Is Coming With Firefox 40 For Linux

Phoronix: Off-Main-Thread Compositing Is Coming With Firefox 40 For Linux

At the end of last week the first beta of Firefox 40 was released, now that Firefox 39 shipped. With Firefox 40 comes some exciting changes for Linux users...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

But the big question... did they fix the leaking memory and leaking javascript crap that causes the thing to grind to an absolute halt after running for a couple of days?

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
      But the big question... did they fix the leaking memory and leaking javascript crap that causes the thing to grind to an absolute halt after running for a couple of days?
      They'll be taking a non-trivial bite out of memory consumption in 41.

https://blog.mozilla.org/nnethercote...-adblock-plus/

Also, Michael, could we please get the "See quote button while logged out, click, get redirected through login page and then back" interaction flow back? Even after I've allowed cookies to persist beyond the current session, something about my setup breaks Remember Me (always has) and it's a major pain to have to scroll away from what I want to reply to, login, be directed to the front page after a successful login rather than back to the thread I was on, have to go back (and possibly reload), and only then can I click to quote or reply.

(Although, now that I think about it, that last bit might be the forum software foregoing a POST parameter for relying on the Referer header... which my browser forges to the bare domain associated with the URL being requested in order to prevent the possibility IP+Referer tracking by sites like Google Font Library and Google AJAX CDN while still satisfying 99% of hotlinking prevention systems.)
      Last edited by ssokolow; 06 July 2015, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Somebody call me when they're not deciding what addons their users are allowed to install.
        I used to be a big Firefox fan, but that was the line I just couldn't cross...

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
          Somebody call me when they're not deciding what addons their users are allowed to install.
          I used to be a big Firefox fan, but that was the line I just couldn't cross...
          Could you explain Daktyl198? I may have missed a news about Firefox, but AFAIK I can still install the plugins I want.

Comment

Originally posted by Creak View Post

Could you explain Daktyl198? I may have missed a news about Firefox, but AFAIK I can still install the plugins I want.
            I understood you can only install addons from https://addons.mozilla.org/nl/firefox/ in Firefox, not from anywhere else and thus they have to be approved by Mozilla.

Comment

For a moment there I thought this was about electrol?sis...

Comment

jrdls That + electrolysis will definitely improve Firefox's performances!

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
                  From my experience, most of those issues are dodgy add-ons, rather than core. I was having problems recently with FF becoming sluggish, and after trying a few things, found that disabling a particular add-on solved the problem completely... both before a recent update to that add-on, and after disabling it, Firefox runs happily for weeks without being restarted.

Comment

Originally posted by Decay View Post

I understood you can only install addons from https://addons.mozilla.org/nl/firefox/ in Firefox, not from anywhere else and thus they have to be approved by Mozilla.
                    What makes you think you can't?

Comment

Working...
                    X