Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mozilla Planning Invasive Changes To The Fundamentals Of Firefox

Phoronix: Mozilla Planning Invasive Changes To The Fundamentals Of Firefox

Firefox developers are revisiting at how they build their web browser and how they can better utilize modern web technologies and in the process move away from XUL/XBL within their Gecko Engine...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The best thing they could do for their users is to have Firefox automatically open to the Chrome download page.

Comment

Mozilla has gone from great to shit since their CEO got sacked. If it wasn't for Chrome being a piece of garbage I probably wouldn't use firefox.

Comment

Well, Firefox is the only browser I can use ... my use case might not be very widespread, but I sometimes have the feeling, the cater exactly to my needs. That is being able to open thousands of tabs. Literally thousands. Last count was at 1841 open tabs, the oldest one is probably over 3 years old and survived some OS reinstallations.

Yeah well, I'm a bit crazy I guess, and it all doesn't make any sense, but hey - firefox allows me to do it and is still very usable.
        Chrome isn't even able to scroll tabs, they just get tinier and tinier until they are unusably small - and then they start to push themselves out of the window boundaries. Superb.

Also I do trust Mozilla way more than Google wit protecting my data and behaviour. And I don't need any fancy javascript stuff, it's just distracting crap or privacy violations mostly (yes, I still have a desktop mail client).

Yep, happy Firefox user here :-)

Comment

I don't understand the hostility towards Mozilla.
          They changed their versioning system? They copyrighted their name so it couldn't be used by scammers?
          Allow people to watch netflix? Changed UI from Opera ripoff to Chrome ripoff?
          These decisions are quite reasonable.
          They are getting rid of XUL which was always a strange piece of technology. Trying to be multiprocess because Firefox is the only relevant browser that doesn't have it.

Comment

Originally posted by mazumoto View Post
            Well, Firefox is the only browser I can use ... my use case might not be very widespread, but I sometimes have the feeling, the cater exactly to my needs. That is being able to open thousands of tabs. Literally thousands. Last count was at 1841 open tabs, the oldest one is probably over 3 years old and survived some OS reinstallations.

Yeah well, I'm a bit crazy I guess, and it all doesn't make any sense, but hey - firefox allows me to do it and is still very usable.
            Chrome isn't even able to scroll tabs, they just get tinier and tinier until they are unusably small - and then they start to push themselves out of the window boundaries. Superb.

Also I do trust Mozilla way more than Google wit protecting my data and behaviour. And I don't need any fancy javascript stuff, it's just distracting crap or privacy violations mostly (yes, I still have a desktop mail client).

Yep, happy Firefox user here :-)
            They have these fancy things called "bookmarks" these days.

Hell Firefox can't even handle one tab w/o 100% pegging a core on my system.

Comment

As long as Firefox is the lightweight (less resource hungry) older brother of chrome, and it's better than internet explorer (or whatever it is microsoft is now using) they're doing it right.

Chrome fans like me gotta remember that without Firefox there would be no Chrome. And without the continuing competition between Firefox and Chrome, Chrome wouldn't even be as good as Firefox is right now.

Comment

Personally I hope for Qt and Servo but I doubt my hopes are realistic.

Comment

Thanks, Michael, for bringing to my attention this exceptional post from Dave Camp. He's asking exactly all the right questions at this time, in the right way. I'm impressed and encouraged, and have no doubt that the future of Firefox is very bright. (I choose Firefox for Mozilla's policies, not necessarily any productive advantage, though it has many.)

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post

They have these fancy things called "bookmarks" these days.

Hell Firefox can't even handle one tab w/o 100% pegging a core on my system.
                    You're doing something wrong then, because i have 400+ tabs open and Firefox isn't going higher than 2% cpu use.

Comment

Working...
                    X