Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Do You Hope To See Out Of Today's Expected Catalyst Linux Update?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Do You Hope To See Out Of Today's Expected Catalyst Linux Update?

Phoronix: What Do You Hope To See Out Of Today's Expected Catalyst Linux Update?

It's expected that today AMD will be releasing an updated Catalyst (v15.20) Linux graphics driver. Aside from Radeon Rx 300/Fury graphics card support, what do you hope is part of this new driver series?..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Same chip, stuff should work similar to last gen cards.

Comment

I hope that the driver finally works, i have a laptop with a dedicated Radeon 8750M card and a integrated intel hd graphics card. It runs fine with the opensource drivers but it never worked with the fglrx drivers. I get a "failed to cmmqs connection" everything.

Comment

The biggest would have to be XServer 1.17 support which is oddly missing in 15.5 but was supported in the 15.3 beta. Arch has been using it for months.

Comment

I hope for GCN 1.2 support through the amdgpu driver and than a focus on the open source driver.

Comment

This year i somehow expect final driver for VLIW hardware

But it is just my guess, i am not insider to spread up right informations
            Last edited by dungeon; 07 July 2015, 12:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Namenlos View Post
              I hope for GCN 1.2 support through the amdgpu driver and than a focus on the open source driver.
              Amdgpu support is coming, but not on this release.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
                The biggest would have to be XServer 1.17 support which is oddly missing in 15.5 but was supported in the 15.3 beta. Arch has been using it for months.
                One of the reasons I gave the opensource driver another shot. Having one of the infamous GHZ 7870's that had the random crashing bug on opensource for the longest time I was forced to use catalyst until it lagged so bad behind the xorg-server versions that it was time for a switch. Thankfully lately the oss has been amazing with this card.

300 series support, 1.17 xserver support...

IDK kinda just holding my breath for AMDGPU opensource fury support with full opengl 4.2(+) support in the opensource drivers...

Comment

amd 6770m her, and i doubt this new driver will work well even after 4 years

Comment

I'm hardly excited about AMD Linux drivers anymore. Since I'm using Windows as well (primarily to be honest) I can compare Catalyst on both platforms. Neither the functionality, nor the performance is even close and I've lost hope I'll see it close ever.

Comment

Working...
                    X