Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debian Will Soon Make GCC 5 Its Default Compiler

Phoronix: Debian Will Soon Make GCC 5 Its Default Compiler

Plans have been laid for making GCC 5 the default compiler in Debian Unstable by month's end. With the move to GCC5 comes libstdc++6 ABI breakage...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Debian Will Soon Make GCC 5 Its Default Compiler

Plans have been laid for making GCC 5 the default compiler in Debian Unstable by month's end. With the move to GCC5 comes libstdc++6 ABI breakage...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...stable-Landing

So what happened to all the Clang/Clang++ hype? I thought LLVM's implementation of C++ ran circles around GNU C/C++ - or is GCC5 a new beast?

Comment

For backward compatibility reasons, I can see large distributions staying with GCC. I fully expect Clang to take over when all is said and done.

Comment

How about they get Libboost straightened out to 1.58+, get the latest OpenImageIO, OpenColorIO, OpenShading, OpenSubDiv, OpenEXR so Blender 2.75+ can actually build?

Comment

Originally posted by MartinN View Post

So what happened to all the Clang/Clang++ hype? I thought LLVM's implementation of C++ ran circles around GNU C/C++ - or is GCC5 a new beast?
          clang++ only runs circles around g++ when it comes to compile times. And g++5 is faster than 4.9 in that case.

Comment

Originally posted by gamerk2 View Post
            For backward compatibility reasons, I can see large distributions staying with GCC. I fully expect Clang to take over when all is said and done.
            When all is said and done there will be more said than done.....

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Patience... FreeBSD has done most of the pipe cleaning on getting packages working under LLVM/CLang, but until it can compile the full Linux stack, and most importantly the Linux kernel, Linux distros are unlikely to use it.

Comment

So what happened to all the Clang/Clang++ hype?
                Nothing, no one said there is a plan to made it deault I guess you are refering to this 3 year old news, that was state of the art what can be compiled at the time:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTA2NjQ
                Last edited by dungeon; 07 July 2015, 07:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X